Looking to downsize to a Class C & looking for brands to avoid etc.

We are not full-timers.  We sold our older Dynasty and I do not want another Class A coach.  I need a coach that is easy to service, less expensive to service and maintain, smaller in size.  I know this is a Monaco forum primarily for DP's but I know that some of you have had Class C's or have friends with them.  I would appreciate some recommendations on brands to avoid due to quality issues as well as recommended brands and thank you in advance for any input that you can provide.

Thanks in advance.

Bill C Jr

Edited by billcjr94dynasty
add signature

Hi Bill,

I hear you.  I am now 71 and I don't think I am 'managing the aging process well.'  Then there is the problem of finding techs who know how to fix the things that inevitably go south with something as complex as a DP.

Our first RV was a Winnebago View.  There are days when I wish we still owned it.  There are different floor plans (we had the 'J' model.  Mercedes diesel 15 -17 mpg.  We did not tow a car and rarely did we find that an inconvenience.  However, the previous owner towed a Mini Cooper.   I highly recommend this RV.

Best of luck to you folks in your search and please do not hesitate to contact me if you have additional questions about the View.

Edited by Sandy Swede

Bill C Jr,

You don't say what size of Class C you are considering because it makes a BIG difference as to what you can tow. If you are serious about downsizing to an average size Class C you had better give serious thought to downsizing your towed vehicle also.  6K lbs is a lot for smaller types of  Class C's to haul around the country.

If you are only downsizing to a 30 foot Class C or longer then you have many options to choose from that have adequate towing capacity for your 6K vehicle.

https://tinyurl.com/ya3n78gt

However, if you are looking for Class C's under 30 foot such as the one listed below in the link you had better change out your towed vehicle to a smaller one.

https://tinyurl.com/y7nsnpmw

To clarify further, we are looking to purchase a used Class C in the 26' - 32' size range and do not want something built on a Sprinter type chassis.  We attend car shows and trailer cars to shows so this is not a situation where we can downsize a toad.  We must have a minimum of a 6,000 towing capacity and it appears that many are only rated for 5,000 lbs, which I understand is often due to the strength of the chassis extension for the motorhome body.

Appreciate the links.  There is some helpful information there.

Bill C Jr

2 hours ago, billcjr94dynasty said:

Thanks.  I forgot to add that we need something that can tow 6.000 lbs, which rules out the View but good to know that you had a positive experience with a Winneabago.  Can I ask what year your Winnie was?

Bill C Jr

It was an '06.  New versions have more hp/torque.

• 2 weeks later...

Our coach before getting the Safari was a brand new 2013 Thor Four Winds 33' Super C on a Ford F550 chassis. It was terrible. The first 11 months of ownership, it was in the shop for 172 days. I eventually filed lemon law, got it all fixed up, and traded it in our Safari. The Ford part was just fine, but everything else (the house) was absolute garbage. On the Thor forums, I spoke with may other owners with similar issues, and once I was at the Ford dealership having my service done and there was another 33SW like ours there, and when I asked the dealership said "it is pretty much totaled due to water leaks ruining the under-dash wiring". So, you want to guess my thoughts about Thor?

Why a Super C? We did a lot of towing. That's a big advantage to a Super C, they tow a LOT more weight than a regular C on an E550 chassis with the V10.

Although front engine, those Ford 6.7 liter diesel engines are good, it was very quiet. 

My Safari is about to hit 110,000 miles, we have had it 4 years, and it's never had a single thing outside of maintenance items go wrong.

Edited by Rob and Amy Harper