Added LED spot lights instead of replacing my headlights.

Ivylog

Sorry headlights seem to be the norm. I installed led bulbs knowing they wouldn’t increase the sight distance… wanted to decrease the amps through the VIP controller. Experimented with various led spotlights and the cheapest one were definitely the best plus they are adjustable in all 3 axis… needed for mounting on the curved front cap. Mounted them next to the mirror mounts at the max legal height of 55”… second and third pictures. 4th picture is OEM high beams… you can see the neighbors landscape light too. 5th the new spot lights and the center of its beam is 6” lower then the high beams.

0678A53A-53A4-4AC7-ABEA-77C5B5BD6BDC.png

BB8743C5-A551-4D34-A8A2-D8C85401CD06.jpeg

C5A1758D-8CD2-4351-B2CD-B21791DC4276.jpeg

2059695D-A22D-401A-95A4-ABAEDB765599.jpeg

893D4A70-BD89-4C68-8939-180664992A07.jpeg

• Thanks 1

NOW...that is COOL.  My DOT approved Headlights are boxed into a contraption that you would have to be a contortionist to change the bulbs.  They are the PITS.  No way to mount any of the LED bulb with the fans or the heat sinks.  I have seen MH with Light Bars that would light up a landing pad for a Huey...

Your solution is great.  

Now, can you explain the install a little more?  Are they relay controlled or direct wired? Are they on a separate dash switch (like the old Highway Patrol Spots)? OR, are they wired into the High beams?

Would appreciate it if you could elaborate on the method and logic of the wiring.

Thanks again....Good Job...

OK, I screwed a old style foot switch to a wooden block glued to the floor. Powered it with a 12V that’s only on when the key is on. Ran a single wire through the rubber boot at the bottom of the steering column to the left light. Loosen a adel clamp on the firewall and put the ground wire under it. Ran 2 wires to the light on the right.

7E3D5B2D-A812-4FBB-B21E-BBDBF2CFBA4F.png

2 minutes ago, Ivylog said:

OK, I screwed a old style foot switch to a wooden block glued to the floor. Powered it with a 12V that’s only on when the key is on. Ran a single wire through the rubber boot at the bottom of the steering column to the left light. Loosen a adel clamp on the firewall and put the ground wire under it. Ran 2 wires to the light on the right.

7E3D5B2D-A812-4FBB-B21E-BBDBF2CFBA4F.png

Nothing like simplicity....BTW...did you had a PONY emblem somewhere....LOL  Thanks

11 minutes ago, Martinvz said:

So these LED lights can be activated at any time without the headlights being on high? Is that legal in any way or did I read your solution wrong?

As long as the key is on, yes tapping the foot switch turns them on. Not sure why you think that’s not legal??? I’ve ordered a small red indicator led light that will come on too…will probably mount it at the bottom of the dash.

Edited by Ivylog