Used the Dynasty for the First Time in a Year

We have been traveling outside the US for the last couple of years and haven't gone out in the Dynasty since November of 2021. I've driven it a couple times to get inspected so I could renew the registration, but the last time was last March.  I was surprised how easily it started, once I replaced the 8-year old chassis battery. I was able to get it started using the boost function, but the battery was definitely toast. Now it turns over great.  The ScangaugeD didn't come on, but disconnecting and reconnecting the plug got it up and running. The GPS took forever to connect to the satellite, but it eventually connected and started working. I was really worried that I'd have a lot of niggling problems after sitting that long, but so far so good. We're going to try to get out more this year if only to exercise the coach. 

I need to start contemplating some long term maintenance issues. New tires and maybe replacing the other 7 air bags -- I replaced a damaged one 6 years ago. I'm also thinking I need to replace the leveler hydraulic lines too.  It might be a busy year.

1 hour ago, dennis.mcdonaugh said:

We have been traveling outside the US for the last couple of years and haven't gone out in the Dynasty since November of 2021. I've driven it a couple times to get inspected so I could renew the registration, but the last time was last March.  I was surprised how easily it started, once I replaced the 8-year old chassis battery. I was able to get it started using the boost function, but the battery was definitely toast. Now it turns over great.  The ScangaugeD didn't come on, but disconnecting and reconnecting the plug got it up and running. The GPS took forever to connect to the satellite, but it eventually connected and started working. I was really worried that I'd have a lot of niggling problems after sitting that long, but so far so good. We're going to try to get out more this year if only to exercise the coach. 

I need to start contemplating some long term maintenance issues. New tires and maybe replacing the other 7 air bags -- I replaced a damaged one 6 years ago. I'm also thinking I need to replace the leveler hydraulic lines too.  It might be a busy year.

KISS & if it AIN’T BROKE.

I would back up and do the basics. Oil change, Fuel Filters, Air Filter, look at the hydraulic (current topic going) and my records on that, front wheel bearings & records on that, rear differential & records.  This assumes you plan to use the MH again.  

Get a shop to test the coolant and inspect the fluid and hoses.  Maybe pull a sample and have a lab analysis 

Allison Transmission service….if old, total change & Filters.  Use Transynd & OEM filters and an Allison authorized service center.

Check the date codes on the tires. Past 8 years?  NEW!  Toyo is one popular brand now. Did you leave the tires covered?  If so, you gained a lot

As to air bags….if you don’t have any leaks, but they look like they were used as rain barrels in Death Valley and are totally cracked….MAYBE.  I am not an OMG….replace.  I will know when…when one corner sags and the bag is deflated…

Same for hydraulic hoses.  Inspect what you can see.  No bulges?  Fittings leaking?  Any drips in the bays. Cycle your slides in and out to exercise them.  LUBE the slide rails….

That’s my take. Glad it started and drove OK.  DRIVE IT MORE….SHORT 50-75 mile local and check for leaks.

• Like 1

Tom, I've kept up with the service even though we haven't been driving it.

The coach has had Peak Final Charge in it for at least 12 years and I changed it the second time  about 3 or so years ago so the antifreeze is good.

I change the oil in the Cummins and Onan every year and replace fuel filters even though it hasn't been driven much.

Five of the tires are less than 7 years old, that's why I'm going to look at changing them in the not so distant future. The left front is only 3 years old because it was damaged and replaced.

I replaced all the slide hydraulic hoses and had the three rams rebuilt in 2020 along with the generator slide so the fluid in that system is good. The levelers worry me because I replaced the other hoses because they began to leak and the leveler hoses are the same vintage.

Seven of the eight air bags are original and worry me a little so I'll end up changing them soon too.

I do need to have the wheel bearings service too, thanks for that reminder.  

I just did the second transmission oil change with Transynd about three years ago, so its due for a filter change again too.

1 hour ago, dennis.mcdonaugh said:

Tom, I've kept up with the service even though we haven't been driving it.

The coach has had Peak Final Charge in it for at least 12 years and I changed it the second time  about 3 or so years ago so the antifreeze is good.

I change the oil in the Cummins and Onan every year and replace fuel filters even though it hasn't been driven much.

Five of the tires are less than 7 years old, that's why I'm going to look at changing them in the not so distant future. The left front is only 3 years old because it was damaged and replaced.

I replaced all the slide hydraulic hoses and had the three rams rebuilt in 2020 along with the generator slide so the fluid in that system is good. The levelers worry me because I replaced the other hoses because they began to leak and the leveler hoses are the same vintage.

Seven of the eight air bags are original and worry me a little so I'll end up changing them soon too.

I do need to have the wheel bearings service too, thanks for that reminder.  

I just did the second transmission oil change with Transynd about three years ago, so its due for a filter change again too.

Good deal…. You sound knowledgeable and good to go.

you didn’t mention the differential.  If it needs service, my choice is the Synthetic Mobil Delvac. Good stuff and the Synthetic prolongs life.

1 hour ago, Tom Cherry said:

Good deal…. You sound knowledgeable and good to go.

you didn’t mention the differential.  If it needs service, my choice is the Synthetic Mobil Delvac. Good stuff and the Synthetic prolongs life.

Unfortunately, I've got that covered too. The first time I changed the differential fluid, a large tooth fell out of with the oil. I'd lost a tooth on the ring gear and had to have the differential rebuilt. I've been pretty anal about servicing that every since. 

Just now, tmw188 said:

Speaking of wheel bearings when is the recommended service on those? 

I don't know, my coach had one documented wheel bearing service at about 70,00 miles and 8 years. I bought it with 130K at 16 years and had them serviced and have been doing it every three years since. 

Grease hubs, based on the Roadmaster Lubrication guide, it is 30K miles or annually.  Don't know of any one that does that. 

I had mine converted to oil bath by Josams in FL back in 2013.  The shop foreman said I just need to check fluid level and should never have to change.  Cost was $450 which included new bearings and seals, seemed like a fair price for the benefit of having oil bath hubs.

That is a good price! Heck just to have them repack is probably half that. Wonder what is now, I might call them. I have a feeling mine may not have been done before. My 2005 Workhorse gasser had oil bath hubs and disc brakes all around.