instrument dash panel replacement

I am planning on replacing the dash panel on my 02 dynasty. Has anyone replaced their dash panel that can give me guidance about the to best way to do this job? For example is it a good idea to remove the steering column to get room to work on the panel? Is there enough slack in the wires so the panel can be moved rearward to gain access to the wire connections?  Etc

Joe Klasch 02 dynasty

I have a 2001 Dynasty and replaced all my instrument/gauges/stereo panels (3 in all). While I did it, I replaced all my gauges in the front panel. One reason was, 2-3 of my gauges did not work properly, including the speedometer. It hasn't work for just about the life of the coach.

I purchased the panels, and gauges from Custom Instrument Panels, 800-462-7535, http://www.custominstrumentpanels.com/

The advantage of purchasing the panels and gauges from them is:  they will install, and prewire, all the gauges for you.

Lessons learned:

1. Some of my sensors had to be replaced: Oil pressure (or Engine Temp, can't remember which), Trans Temp, and Fuel Gauge. They provide the sensors, but on sensor was not the correct size, but they swapped it out at no charge. In the case of the fuel gauge, I had to try 2-3 different ones before getting the right one. Taking the dash out and putting it in several times to try the diff fuel gauges was no picnic. I never removed the steering column, but if you did, it would really help.

2. You have to remove the old threaded parts off of the old panel (see last pic), and glue them on to the new panel. These threaded parts hold the dummy light panel to the larger panel. Some of the holes they made did not line up exactly, so I had to improvise. The glue they recommended, and others I tried using, didn't hold very well. After removing the dash 3+ times, 3 to try diff fuel gauges, and a couple more times for other issues, the glued in threaded parts did not hold. After several additional attempts, I gave up and screwed the panel with all the dummy lights on to the larger panel.

3. The large Sony monitor, for the backup camera and Triptec, was so heavy that the threaded parts would not hold it so I had to replace it with a lighter LED monitor and replaced the backup camera system with a wireless one.

I don't have any pics of my new dash as my RV is in NC and I am in FL at the moment. I've attached a few pics of the panels I replaced. In the Left Front and Mid Front you can see the dummy light panel behind the main panel. In the Right Front Pic is the heavy Sony Monitor I replaced. If you replace the stereo panel, as I did, they will ask you for the exact dimensions. I guess my dimensions were not quite right, as I had to do some additional trimming.

Feel free to call me (msg me for my cell #) if you have any more questions. Since your Dynasty is a year newer, your dash may be totally different from mine.

Hope this helps

Bill

USN Retired

Left Arm section.JPG

Left Front.JPG

Mid Front.JPG

Right Front.JPG

Stereo.JPG

Threaded Part.jpg