Aladdin data not showing on screen, modules no power

2003 Signature. Suddenly, when I turn on the power to the Aladdin and push the joystick up, the red light on the joystick lights, but no Aladdin data shows on the Panasonic screen. However, the screen displays radio stations, etc. just fine. Bedroom monitor shows nothing either. Looking at the individual modules on the top of the bay, none are lit. I dug the control unit and video unit from in the dash, and both test for 12 volt power, and all plugs are seated. The only fuses I've found, both inline in the dash and in the front run bay, are all good. I do have one purple wire that is unplugged, or never was plugged in. Maybe snooze with a similar setup can take a picture to show me where the wire goes. Thanks in advance.

IMG_3109.jpeg

We had a similar problem with our 03 Sig.  It turned out that the video signal at the Panasonic unit had failed.  As a signal test we plugged the Aladdin cable into a portable TV and after proving the issue we bought a cable end adapter and moved the signal to the Sony backup monitor which has multiple inputs.  Now we only have to switch inputs on the monitor screen when I need to view the Aladdin info.  Even if this isn't the solution for you it would still be a work around until you find some other method you prefer.  We found the adapter online.  We later removed the Panasonic and replaced it with a newer unit which accepts blue tooth, USB, etc.  Good luck.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay, Bruce. When you say your radio worked, do you mean the audio, or were you able to see stations and other stuff? I can see the stations on my Aladdin screen, so I know the video part of the Aladdin does work, just doesn't show the Aladdin screens. There is a small group of wires to the back of the monitor, and then a single wire, which I thought might be a ground. Where does the Aladdin video signal come in, the bundle or the single wire? Thanks.

I had a display showing the radio stations, etc. but no external signal from the Aladdin input.  The Aladdin signal, as I recall was plugged into the black box shown at the top of this discussion as one of the RCA jack inputs.  Since there was no audio it would have been a video in or aux. in connection.  This box was part of the Panasonic unit with the 2 plug in connectors on the left tying into the Panasonic display head.  This box was needed because the head unit didn't have enough room for all the jacks you see.  I removed this box with the head unit when I replaced it with a new stereo since it was only dead weight by then.

Thanks for the help, Bruce. Maybe part of my problem is that I have this purple plug here that is not connected to anything; you wouldn't have any pictures or recollections of where it might go, do you? I can't tell from any wiring diagrams I have. it's not a good picture because it doesn't show the other wire. I don't know what should be plugged where on this box. Any ideas?

IMG_3081.jpeg

On 5/7/2023 at 7:04 AM, Bruce S said:

Hi Joe.  According to my drawing of the Aladdin system this cable plugs into the back of the Panasonic head unit (which is why it is so short).  Please see attached drawing.

2003 Signature Aladdin System Dwg.pdf 266.17 kB · 11 downloads

Looking at the RCA labels, the unplugged purple is coming from Audio 2 out and thus shouldn't be affecting video.  The other purple is Video 1 out and the yellow is Video 2 out.  Have you selected the correct video channel?  Where are those cables going?   I have a different setup but had a problem once with my touch screen monitor after somebody dusted it off and in the process accidentally switched the video selections with the wiping motion.

• 11 months later...
Posted (edited)
On 4/21/2023 at 9:54 PM, joefromperry said:

2003 Signature. Suddenly, when I turn on the power to the Aladdin and push the joystick up, the red light on the joystick lights, but no Aladdin data shows on the Panasonic screen. However, the screen displays radio stations, etc. just fine. Bedroom monitor shows nothing either. Looking at the individual modules on the top of the bay, none are lit. I dug the control unit and video unit from in the dash, and both test for 12 volt power, and all plugs are seated. The only fuses I've found, both inline in the dash and in the front run bay, are all good. I do have one purple wire that is unplugged, or never was plugged in. Maybe snooze with a similar setup can take a picture to show me where the wire goes. Thanks in advance.

IMG_3109.jpeg

UPDATE: problem solved (sort of). Although I haven't found where the purple cable attaches, I did solve the problem of no data showing up on my display. Once I saw all the little boxes on the top of the bay were receiving power and sending data, I realized the problem had to be just with video. Turns out the purple RCA cable in the picture above was connected to the Panasonic control box using a connector to another RCA cable. I decided I needed only one cable, so eliminated the connector and other cable, and suddenly I had the Aladdin video back. Just to make sure, while the Aladdin data was showing on the screen, I went back to the original setup with two RCA cables and a connector, and the display was gone again. So now I'm good. Thanks for all the suggestions and comments. I will be looking to upgrade from the Panasonic monitor / radio, but until I do, at least I have the Aladdin info back. Here's the culprit: 

73481257232__B016AE92-BD7C-464C-ABDA-702244FE9E94.jpeg

73481257232__B016AE92-BD7C-464C-ABDA-702244FE9E94.heic

Edited by joefromperry
added solution