02 executive bedroom slide won’t extend

Guest Potholepicker

Guest Potholepicker

Tried to extend our bedroom slide but won’t operate. No power to 12v motor under bed. 
checked fuses and they appeared good. 

where should I start?

3 hours ago, Potholepicker said:

Tried to extend our bedroom slide but won’t operate. No power to 12v motor under bed. 
checked fuses and they appeared good. 

where should I start?

Pull your prints out of your manual.  We have the 2003 Dynasty. BUT if you go through them and find the Rear Slide print….in the 160 or so page….which is in our index, you will find the schematic.  Screen shot below.  The print is released for 2002…Dynasty on up to Sig.  BINGO.

You need  to locate the circuit breaker.  See if it is tripped.  I can’t tell if it is a resettable one or has a lever….  That supplies power to the two control relays.  

You may need to pull switch ….it pops out.  There should be, measured to ground 12 VDC on center wire….with Engine OFF.  No power on center switch….you got a control problem….and there is a Lockout relay.  Look at other prints to chase down and find fuse.

You need to locate the two Bosch relays.  If you have control power….check the coil power on each when someone operates switch.  If relays click or have power….GOOD….otherwise swap them.  Relays MUST wok.  

Then check Terminal 87.  That is the high current 30 Amp supply.  These two relays swap the Positive and Negative….back and forth….so the motor runs one way or the other.  Simple circuit…

There is NO POWER TO THE MOTOR…at any time …...  UNLESS a there is a RELAY closed (as in you push the button).  Actually, if you use your VOM a on the OHMS or Continuity side….BOTH MOTOR LEADS Grounded.  Energize a relay and then that lead gets 12 VDC….bingo…the motor turns one way.  Energize the OTHER relay….then it’s lead gets power….and the motor moves the other way.

That’s it.  FORTUNATELY, you do NOT have one of the complex slide controllers….many of which are not available.  Yours is simple….follow the prints and find the CB and the relays and then start measuring voltages.

Good Luck…

IMG_0837.png

Guest Potholepicker

My conclusion is the slide disabled relay. 
You mentioned a 7.5 fuse in the front run plate. 
I don’t know where that is located. 
jeff

1 hour ago, Potholepicker said:

My conclusion is the slide disabled relay. 
You mentioned a 7.5 fuse in the front run plate. 
I don’t know where that is located. 
jeff

OK…to be on the same page.  You have tested the center pin of the switch….measured voltage to Ground and have NO 12 VDC.  If that is correct….then the lockout relay may be the issue.  If you look on the print or if you have your manual or if you download this file….

THEN….you need to find the print that has the fuses in the front or look in the front and read the labels.  If you read the print….it say “Slide Out Fuse”…located in front “plate”.  The FRB is where I would look. There may be a fuse layout in your manual.  I did not download that.

The next and logical question is “where” is this Bosch lock out relay.  Typically, it will be behind or in the vicinity of the switch….but Monaco never really tells you as they “move around” even in mid year.  If you find the 7.5A fuse….and it is good….then you need to locate the Bosch lockout relay and test it.  It is labeled as a 10A, but the 30A relays plug in and work the same.

At this point….i can’t give you specific locations….but if you have tested for for voltage and have no CONTROL voltage….you will not spend time and $$ replacing slide motor and such….which does happen if the proper troubleshooting is not done…

Guest Potholepicker

Tom

i know where the relays are located. 
it is the 7.5 amp fuse I cannot locate. 
see pics. 

IMG_0244.jpeg

IMG_0247.jpeg

Would you have a preferred vendor for those relays?

You need to label pictures.  I figured out the motor.  But, is the other one in the REAR...which we commonly call the RRB (Rear Run Bay)?  If so, the print says FRB (Front Run Bay) or the electrical bay typically on the road side and under the driver.  

OK....you need to be more familiar with the drawings.  Download the file I posted.  Then go to sheet 176 and you will find the FRONT RUN PLATE Drawing.  That is what is referenced on the screen shot.  There are THREE boards up there.  Domestic; Hot Domestic/Chassis and ACC/Ignition.  The upper board in the drawing is the Domestic. If I would hazard a guess....then fuse #1 (upper right corner) which is a 7.5A and is labeled Slide Out Bed Switch might be what you are looking for. 

Your Manual does NOT provide a very good explanation....but if you have your manual, then every print in the file is in the back of your manual.  I can't do a screen print from this PC...BUT, I did print out a copy of it.  Look at it.  

That's as much as I can help without being there.  

Front Run Plate -- 2002_3 Dynasty - Fuse Identification Legend.pdf

Guest Potholepicker

Tom,

Thanks for trying. That is a pic of the rear run bay on the left. We don't have a fuse panel on our rig like that. At least I haven't seen one.

I'll keep at it, Thanks.

Jeff

17 minutes ago, Potholepicker said:

Tom,

Thanks for trying. That is a pic of the rear run bay on the left. We don't have a fuse panel on our rig like that. At least I haven't seen one.

I'll keep at it, Thanks.

Jeff

Jeff,

Not to be critical, but the drawing I sent you is for the 2002 Dynasty - Executive. If that is NOT in the Front Run Bay, then there is a fuse panel or board or "plate" somewhere.  I can't tell you where....maybe others can.  But, logically, you have to have one.  The relays you have are labeled as I would suspect.

Typically, purchasing PURE 100% OEM BOSCH relays from Amazon is always the best.  There are MANY brands and Monaco did NOT always use BOSCH...but that was rare. You will have to find the one with the mounting tab (where the screw goes).  Having a few of them and learning how to trouble shoot and understand them is something that many folks have done.  Our electrical systems are complex....but you have a set of prints for your MH....and I believe that you need to do a little searching or perhaps someone will chime in...

Good Luck...

9 minutes ago, Paul A. said:

Here is a link to your coach Manuals. May or may not help.

https://www.monacocoach.com/resources/media/manuals/2002_Executive.pdf

MEH.  Monaco has been known to keep pictures and information in manual that don’t match the prints that the engineers said to use.  “As BUILT” Vs “Prints” Was a testy topic.  I

@Potholepicker

There is a lot of generic information in Section 9 that explains how relays work.  Your photo matches the one in the rear.  Your front one is a mystery.  The picture in the manual, and I tried to blow it up, appears to have a row of fuses, maybe labels also, at the bottom.  Your MH may be an early 2002 and the three fuse panels that are on the print never made it.  Or, there is another spot where they live.  No one here can tell you exactly where to look for a specific fuse.  The print with the control relay and the lockout relay is what you have in the rear.

If you checked the center pin of the switch and no 12 VDC, then you need to start checking voltage on the slide disable relay terminal.  Those terminals are marked and easy to get to or you pull out the relay and probe.  No incoming voltage to that relay, which is normally closed and the circuit to the switch is broken when the ignition is on.  Please make sure you didn’t try with the ignition on.

THEN, you go up front.  Buy a few 7.5A fuses or an assortment.  I would pick fuse 1.  Pull it and put in a new one.  No joy…test the one you pulled out. If it is OK, then systematically start using it to replace and test each 7.5A.  There should be a legend or label or sheet there.  There is none in your manual.

We can’t assist until you do the troubleshooting….let us know or get a tech.  

Guest Potholepicker

An Update:

I discovered that several other systems were inoperative--not just the bedroom slide. The water pump, system status lights, temp and directional display, and a few others were inoperative and had worked previously.

The problem was they were not getting 12Volts. After praying, I went back to the Rear Run Bay with the high current 12 volt busses. I noticed that one of the posts on the solenoid was missing a wire. I attached a ring terminal to the end of the Purple wire and upon connecting to the vacant post, heard the switch click.

All of the inoperative systems were working as before.

Simple solution to a large problem.

Thank you to all that contributed with your suggestions and knowledge--a real collection of wisdom that got me thinking.

Blessings,

Jeff

P.S., My careers were in aviation, pilot-military and civilian, test pilot for two aircraft manufacturers. The Monaco Coach has alot in common with aircraft. My Wife and I are songwriters and instrumentalists. We have traveled over 35,000 miles to 25 states in the previous four years.

12 hours ago, Potholepicker said:

An Update:

I discovered that several other systems were inoperative--not just the bedroom slide. The water pump, system status lights, temp and directional display, and a few others were inoperative and had worked previously.

The problem was they were not getting 12Volts. After praying, I went back to the Rear Run Bay with the high current 12 volt busses. I noticed that one of the posts on the solenoid was missing a wire. I attached a ring terminal to the end of the Purple wire and upon connecting to the vacant post, heard the switch click.

All of the inoperative systems were working as before.

Simple solution to a large problem.

Thank you to all that contributed with your suggestions and knowledge--a real collection of wisdom that got me thinking.

Blessings,

Jeff

P.S., My careers were in aviation, pilot-military and civilian, test pilot for two aircraft manufacturers. The Monaco Coach has alot in common with aircraft. My Wife and I are songwriters and instrumentalists. We have traveled over 35,000 miles to 25 states in the previous four years.

That is great. I would suggest that you do read and actually take the manual with you about the various systems...particularly in the electrical. You have a great MH.  It is really less complex than it's offsprings....and that is good. 

Next, I would caution you to never again do live wire hookups.  Turn off the Main battery disconnects or removed the jumpers between the batteries.  That can cause a voltage surge and damage components. This is a must to keep everything working.

Your journey sounds great. We logged almost 6,000 miles over our 10 year....GONNA TRAVEL saga.  Did every lower 48 and 6 provinces and camped in 47 states.  We spent 2 months out each year, average.  Had our GK's with us for one third of the time and our kids also traveled with us a lot.  Wonderful memories.  Keep on doing that....