2024 Eclipse trip ideas?

Thinking of planning a trip to experience the 2024 eclipse coming April 8, 2024.

We are in Maryland, would like to plan a trip to stay somewhere in the Totality zone, which reaches from Texas to Maine. It looks like Ohio has a pretty wide swath to accomplish this goal.

Thoughts or suggestions on where to stay?

https://nationaleclipse.com/maps.html

Thank you

I carefully planned to view the last eclipse with my daughter.  It turned cloudy in the final hour and became a total bust.  My friend blew off the eclipse and went to the lake 100 miles away with her family.  They enjoyed everything a total eclipse could offer.  Go figure.

Following . . . . just in case.

- bob

• Like 1

We saw the 2017 eclipse in Oregon.  I chose a place with the best probability I could find of no cloud cover.  In the days just before the big day it had been cloudy and there had been smoke from forest fires, but it all cleared out for a glorious clear sky.  I think it is worth it to be in totality.  The time in totality goes by quickly, so the longer the better.  The city of Culver, Oregon set up an open field for camping, so there were several hundred people experiencing it together, including a couple astronomers that shared their viewing apparatus.  We arrived a couple days before the big event and it was a family oriented party atmosphere. 

The upcoming event date is April 8, 2024.  I'm thinking of Kerrville, TX with a 40% probability of clear skies in April.  The clear skies probability gets a little better further southwest, so near Eagle Pass, Texas would be the best I have found for the length of totality and probability of clear skies. 

• Like 1