Pop Quiz! LOL. Help in identifying some parts. 1997 Dynasty

• Tom Cherry changed the title to Pop Quiz! LOL. Help in identifying some parts. 1997 Dynasty

Do I get a better reward if I ask fewer questions?  

The housing looks like it contains a temperature probe.  Is there a cable harness or electrical pigtail on the side we can’t see.  There is a “tube” looking something or the other in the background.  Typically, a capillary temp probe is placed in a critical heat area (think like the pilot light on a gas log) and it has to be heated or have enough heat rise to “push” fluid or something up a tube….like to a gas valve shut off.  

they are also used in the later Dynasty as an accurate thermometer or control device to close contacts for an AquaHot zone….like in the wet bay.

Without more info on the back side or whether the tube is connected to the housing and if so….where does it go, the possibilities are endless.

NOW some of our older Dynasty owners might recognize in a heartbeat.  Please provide more information and pictures with this one or the next.

Have you read the Owner’s manual and looked to see if it is listed.  For example, my Camelot has an outside temp and bay temp sensor….but these are just cheap thermocouples and are digital and read out on the dash.

Your model owners manual is not online.,..so no curiosity sleuthing…..

Guest Ray Davis

2 wires appear to go to it.  It looks a little like a furnace igniter but that makes no sense.   Surely it's gotta be a temp probe for a fan or something.

2nd pict shows the 2 wires heading towards the back  so maybe it had an elect fan, I've seen people with a fan to help rid the engine area of heat.

Definitely a "NICE" temp sensor.  COULD be a fire extinguishing probe.  The later ones use a sprinkler head.  The probe should be mounted on the ceiling of the engine compartment....not a side wall.  OR, maybe somebody didn't have too much info or concept.

All in favor of TEMP PROBE....  OK NOW, Ken, start chasing the wires....  Did your manual have any info...?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Ray Davis said:

2 wires appear to go to it.  It looks a little like a furnace igniter but that makes no sense.   Surely it's gotta be a temp probe for a fan or something.

2nd pict shows the 2 wires heading towards the back  so maybe it had an elect fan, I've seen people with a fan to help rid the engine area of heat.

Interesting idea. My rig has a large fan mounted on the rear passenger's side engine bay behind the air louvers on that side. It has a manual on/off switch accessible from the outside of the rig. I've always wondered if that was a previous-owner add-on?  I thought maybe it was to help cool the engine under the bed when you pull off the road late and want to lose some heat quickly before sleeping or something. 

Maybe this temp sensor is meant to turn that fan on when the engine is hot enough?

14 hours ago, Tom Cherry said:

Definitely a "NICE" temp sensor.  COULD be a fire extinguishing probe.  The later ones use a sprinkler head.  The probe should be mounted on the ceiling of the engine compartment....not a side wall.  OR, maybe somebody didn't have too much info or concept.

All in favor of TEMP PROBE....  OK NOW, Ken, start chasing the wires....  Did your manual have any info...?

Manual has nothing about it. I'll try to follow the wires...

21 hours ago, Just Jim said:

I think that is the wobbling shaft for the smoke grinder.

just one bit of additional info... the smoke grinder is not to be confused with the soot cooker that is installed on many of the models after the year 2007.

LOL...

• Haha 1

That is a furnace fan cut in/ out switch. I know, my furnace at home is a 1970! I replaced it last year. It sits in the flame and turns on the fan once the exchanger is warmed up, then it is slow to cool so the fan keeps running until it resets. All mechanical like a thermostat. 

Honeywell L4064B2236 Combination Fan and Limit Furnace Control https://a.co/d/7nVL2QI

Looks like they used it as a fire warning. Probably makes a light or alarm go off somewhere....interesting idea! 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Agpopp said:

That is a furnace fan cut in/ out switch. I know, my furnace at home is a 1970! I replaced it last year. It sits in the flame and turns on the fan once the exchanger is warmed up, then it is slow to cool so the fan keeps running until it resets. All mechanical like a thermostat. 

Honeywell L4064B2236 Combination Fan and Limit Furnace Control https://a.co/d/7nVL2QI

Looks like they used it as a fire warning. Probably makes a light or alarm go off somewhere....interesting idea! 

Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner!  😀

So now I need to figure out what it's being used for. It would make sense, I guess, if it controlled the aux fan attached to the passenger side of the engine compartment, but I've never noticed that fan turning on or off by itself. If I flick the switch it's on, or off. Maybe I need to wait longer. Will trace wires...

Unfortunately, there is no prize, just the glory of victory! 😉

Okay, here's the 2nd part I can't identify...

IMG_13152.thumb.JPG.808efc81f2a76b7362c8711f2b521eee.JPG

4 hours ago, RoadTripper2084 said:

Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner!  😀

So now I need to figure out what it's being used for. It would make sense, I guess, if it controlled the aux fan attached to the passenger side of the engine compartment, but I've never noticed that fan turning on or off by itself. If I flick the switch it's on, or off. Maybe I need to wait longer. Will trace wires...

Unfortunately, there is no prize, just the glory of victory! 😉

Okay, here's the 2nd part I can't identify...

IMG_13152.thumb.JPG.808efc81f2a76b7362c8711f2b521eee.JPG

So….where are the prizes?

As a bit of an add on…..the switch may or may have been an alarm or it COULD control a fan. Monaco had an ugly time….circa 2006.  The Camelots would get so hot in the engine compartment, cooling system was OK, just a lack of common sense as to the rear deck design and airflow and vents.  Customers that complained and could go to one of the warranty centers got a “kit” installed.  It was a large vent….or maybe 2.  There was a “thermostatic controlled” fan somewhere in the engine compartment to control the heat via some reved up airflow.  Maybe you had such?  Maybe there is/was a fan?

Chase the wires….

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, so I tried to trace the wires, they join the main bundle that traverses the back of coach across the engine compartment from driver's to passenger side. From there could go into the rear electrical panel, or somewhere else. Without taking the bundle apart I can't trace it further.

Here's the "auxiliary" fan that's mounted on the passenger side of my engine compartment. Is this factory? What's it for (moves air from outside to the engine compartment, I get that, but when/why)? Seems to come on if I flick the switch mounted on the outside of the coach, but never heard it otherwise.

PassengerEngFanInt.thumb.JPG.c53c4a9d51b1b5b0b20901be5f77d704.JPG 

PassengerEngFanExt.thumb.JPG.001a8a1fa81599b0fe4eb77fac34f716.JPG

• 4 weeks later...

I guessing by the lack of responses to my last post that this fan is not a factory option, but was added at some point by a previous owner.

I have two theories as to why:

1. Help cool the engine bay after parking before attempting to sleep above the engine on travel days.
  2. Help cool the engine in general in hot climates/long pull type situations.

1 hour ago, RoadTripper2084 said:

I guessing by the lack of responses to my last post that this fan is not a factory option, but was added at some point by a previous owner.

I have two theories as to why:

1. Help cool the engine bay after parking before attempting to sleep above the engine on travel days.
  2. Help cool the engine in general in hot climates/long pull type situations.

No one ever commented on how nice the prizes were from your first post.  LOL

My suggestion, since you are not tracing the wires….stop guessing.  Rig up a trouble light or test light and snake the cord up through a window or the bedroom access cover.  Have someone periodically see when or if it comes on. Note the temos and driving conditions. No joy, then turn ON the switch and see if the fan runs then and when and cycles (changing conditions)…

THEN you will have some info to test your guesses.  Right now…NADA….

• Like 1

Regarding the fan, the temperature sensor, and the switch; given how  "creative" us RV owners are, the fan and sensor could have been factory installed as one of the previous posts stated, and then the owner added a switch either to supplement a temperature sensor or as a replacement if the sensor went bad. Personally I would see if there's power going to the sensor, and then use a jumper to bypass the sensor to see if it still turns the fan on. If so switch in the sensor are likely wired in parallel. If there's no power on the sensor, and the sensor likely went bad was replaced with a switch. Of course all of this is a wild guess based on what I would do as a "creative" RV owner!