RR4R Rear Engine Mount

Was under my 24v Cummins ISB Rear Rad Neptune the other day welding on a skid roller to the hitch and was blown away at the way the factory mounted the rear (or crank pulley side) engine mount.  I can't believe I never noticed it's actually sitting on the hitch! What a crazy way to engineer this thing.  So the hitch actually supports the entire nose of the engine,  the rad, charge air cooler, fan shroud and whatever tongue weight you may have on the hitch. ( and now the roller for my new paved driveway upon entry and exit). 

Are the other chassis and engines engineered this way? Seems like a poor albeit cheap design choice.  There are 6 bolts on either side, so plenty of shear strength but the horizontal loading of the cross tube seems like a weak spot of it ever rusts.  Maybe I'm crazy 🤪

20230613_184545.thumb.jpg.266dfbed16ec5eed0b61cde06a83798d.jpg

Have to admit it looks structurally weird but the force on the tow bar would be down so if it’s welded onto a cross member further back the force at that weld you photographed would probably be upward. My days of engineering are long gone. Surely it’s not just that one weld that’s holding the tow bar in place? 

• 3 weeks later...