Air Dryer(s)

jmcnamer

I have a 1997 Monaco Dynasty.  Sorry for the newbie question, but are there filters that need to be changed for the air dryer(s).  If so, where are they located and how many of them are there.  I'm just learning, so thank you in advance for your help.

Jody

Hi Jody, to answer your question there is a cartridge that need replaced on the air dryer. It is a black, spin on/off round pancake looking cartridge that I change every October or so, depending on use it definitely could be changed twice a year if desired.  Did you just get this coach, if so, congrats and  how are you liking it so far? There are a bunch of PM (Preventative Maintenance) items that need to be changed if you just purchased it, like a fuel/water separator element, fuel filters, belts, hoses and so on. I have a Holiday Rambler and had to do the same thing, as far as location goes... I will leave that to the experts on here , they are well versed and extremely knowledgeable. Good luck sir, I wish you the best and also being a newbie- hope to cross paths again.  Hope this helps 🙂

Take care,

Nick

Thanks for the reply Nick.  We got the coach last year, so this is my first time making sure all the maintenance is done. This is our first RV, and I don’t have any of the manuals.  This board has been a lifesaver.  I could really use some help to make sure I haven’t missed anything.

I’ve  changed the oil and filter, the Racor water separator, the fuel filter, engine air filter canister.  Changed the oil and filter on the generator.  I checked the belts and replaced the A/C belt.  I just had the transmission fluid changed.  What am I missing?

Thanks again for all the help.

Jody

Guest Ray Davis

Good morning Jody ,

If you look at the downloads at Monacoers . org I saw some things for a 97 Dynasty and also in the parts list under air some info .

Monaco used 2 different air dryers Haldex and Meritor so you'll need to identify yours first .

Good luck 

• 4 weeks later...

There is a coolant filter too. Since you don’t know when or if it has ever been changed, it would be good to do so. I’m in the same boat, or bus as you do I’m changing everything so I have a good starting point. I’m also getting an oil analysis too.  I’m a retired equipment operator so I’ve done this type of maintenance on all of my rigs.   Also, there is a filter in some hydraulic reservoirs    Good luck. 

On 6/18/2020 at 1:44 AM, jmcnamer said:

I have a 1997 Monaco Dynasty.  Sorry for the newbie question, but are there filters that need to be changed for the air dryer(s).  If so, where are they located and how many of them are there.  I'm just learning, so thank you in advance for your help.

Jody

MOST LIKELY....and we all say this...   Monaco never built the same coach TWICE.  

ODDS ARE....you have a WABCO air dryer.  It has one Dessissicant (sp?) filter.  It is a round, screw on filter.  NOW....a word of caution.  Many of the Wabco units have had small leaks.  There are two sides to the housing.  I can't recall the reason.  But, WABCO sells TWO separate "repair" kits.  BUT, unless you are really handy and are OK with rebuilding precision devices, rebuilding is not a VALUE ADDED.  The kits are in the $150 range or maybe higher.  By the time you pay a tech to rebuild them, you are well into 75% of the cost of a new unit.  

The NEW unit comes with a NEW Filter.  SO, odds are....you can buy a new one and have it installed for the same price as rebuilding the old one and purchasing a new filter.

If you air up (the pop off sounds), then do some bubble (soap solution) testing on the entire housing.  If you see bubbles....then you need to have it repaired or replaced.

Odds are, your air dryer is in the upper right rear (but you never know) section of the engine compartment.

I would TEST and then make the call before I purchased the $40 - $60 filter.  If it is leak free, all you need is an oil filter strap wrench.  I would use a little purse silicone (plumber's grease) or Vasoline on the seal.....just put it on your finger and smear it LIGHTLY....no globs...

Tom, that is great advice. I would like to thank you and Dennis for the help with pretty much-everything that comes along on the forum. I am a newbie on here but have 20+ years of RV’ing under my belt along with the trials and tribulations of repairs. 🙂

There have been a few folks that have contacted me via DM, and have been wonderful. This is a testament to the quality of folks In this forum. 

Okay, back to the original reply: yes, the wabco is roughly $250ish, and was super easy to install if you have tools and are mechanically handy. Anyone can do this, carefully of course. 

I would also recommend replacing the air governor $40-$80 if you have an air leak and cannot find it. This is the culprit that no one checks since it is “supposed” to always work, right? I can’t tell you how many I have replaced and had the customer call a few days later stating “I still have air pressure,” and if it has never been replaced In a 15 year old coach, it is peace of mind. The check valve weakens over time and allows air to escape. Also, if your coach has an issue with building air- this is the first thing to check, 99% probability based on years of experience:). 

One last tip: drain your air tanks people! Condensation builds up and believe it or not, you will have water come out when drained- in massive amounts. This will also happen if your air dryer filter hasn’t been changed In a while. 

The air tank has a pet cock (drain valve), mine was changed to one you can pull the cable from a few feet away without having to get under the coach,  just makes it super easy to drain.  

Thank you all for the help and have a blessed day,

Nic

I have a 96 Dynasty and my friend had a 98 Dynasty and we had the same air dryer.  So I would assume it is likely that your 97 has the  same air dryer as me.

My air dryer is  a HALDEX DA33200.  The general repair kit is a DQ 6026.  Cost about $120. This has the spin on filter an the desiccant filter.  The major kit is a DQ 6020. Cost about $40.

I replace mine every 2 years.  I went 3 years and had the desiccant  filter come apart on Prince Edward Island in Canada and wrecked the air dryer.  Could not get an air dryer in Canada so 

had to by pass the air dryer and wait until I got back to USA.  The general repair kit is relatively easy to repair and comes with instructions.  To judge if you need to look down in the hole

when you remove the desiccant filter.  This very difficult with the air dryer on the MH.  I keep my MH close to my shop so I take the air lines off and remove the air dryer from the MH.

That way I can do all the rebuild work in the shop.  I need to install a major kit about half the time.  The air dryer is on the pass. side of the MH, in front of the rear jack.   Good luck,

Larry, 1996 Dynasty