Engine turns over but would not start.

I would appreciate some of your expertise on my issue

I have the Cummins 500HP Red Top diesel. Cranks over, no problem, but does not fire. Had not been started for about a month. After several unsuccessful attempts, turning over freely, waited 30 minutes and gave it a try and it started. Has started without a problem several times since. Checked fuel filter and discovered that it has been rerouted…inlet direct to outlet. Previous 2 owners were “ straight shooters” and wonder why the modification.

Any insight as why the temporary (or maybe reoccurring) failure to start. Want to be able to trust that I won’t get stranded. How might I direct my mechanic to fix this?
How serious is the lack of a fuel filter and water separator? Should I fix that? 

Your input is always appreciated. You guys have saved me some major money! 

Thanks 

You definitely want your fuel filter... Any crude of any kind you want stopped before it hits your injection pump or your injectors. Why anyone would bypass a fuel filter on any Diesel engine is beyond me..   Hook it back up with new filters.

Guest Ray Davis

Sounds like a previous owner had the same problem and this was an attempt to get it started.

Dexter is right,  running without filters is asking for big expensive problems.

Maybe the fuel line, filter, or fittings are allowing it to suck air making it hard to get fuel from the tank.  Bypassing the filters would make it easier to suck fuel.

Several members have installed a fuel pump at the tank negating those issues.

I have to agree with you and Dexter. Seems quite risky to run without a filter. The previous owner owned a trucking company and is a truck driver. Hoping that he knew what he was doing and another filter exists somewhere.  Thanks for the input. Always good stuff. 

Thanks Dexter. Was just reading about how expensive it is to replace the engine…or even the injectors or fuel pump, you have good  advice for me. The rig spends a lot of its time on the Gulf, high humidity area. I will get it fixed ASAP. I was very surprised to see the retrofit. 
Thanks!!  

When I installed my FASS pump I bypassed the primary filter initially and after a trip to confirm everything was working correctly removed the filter and base.  So just something to look at.

But if you can't confirm that there hasn't been another filtering system installed I agree with the other, reactivate the filter but be careful not to introduce any contamination into your fuel system. 

• Like 1