CoachStep Step Motor: How Does It Work?

Go to solution Solved by Rikadoo,

I have read every step thread here and also the instruction manuals posted, but perhaps I'm a little slow.

I'm installing step motor 300-1406. What limits the travel of the motor and motor gear? I don't want to put this in wrong and immediately strip it out.

I read I'm supposed to install the motor with the steps out. 

The only reason the steps have to be out when installing, is so you can get to the area to work on it. I replaced my motor. I just made sure I took pictures of how the gears were located while the step was out, and installed the motor the same as the old one. Very important to make sure you have all the power switches shut off BEFORE you put your hands up there. There is a harness to unplug, While under there, I disconnected all the hinges one at a time so as to not forget how they go back and lubricated all moving parts with quickie step lubricant. I hear Boeshield T-9 is good too. 

• Like 1

• Solution

Heres what i know abt step motor gear box replacement

You dont need worry abt “timing” the motor and or the gear box. As the module looks at motor draw to determine when to turn off current to the motor, either out or in! So thats why it sooooo important to keep the linkage clean an lubed. Which also why im now using a spray dry graphite lube ($$$) lubricant for step servicing. It doesnt attract road grime an crud.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Rikadoo said:

Heres what i know abt step motor gear box replacement

You dont need worry abt “timing” the motor and or the gear box. As the module looks at motor draw to determine when to turn off current to the motor, either out or in! 

I agree!

When I took the gearbox apart to replace the three sacrificial nylon tubes, I wasn't concerned with the steps position when I remounted the motor/ gearbox.

Just put it where it gave me the most space to work, and the step worked perfectly when I put power to it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1