Change from Thetford Tecma Toilet to another brand? Help!

Daryl Ammons

On 8/10/2023 at 1:36 PM, Bobbyboy said:

Daryl:  Let me know how the Dometic fits;  I assume it is a macerator type.  Also I found a controller(p/n36387) on E-Bay but they wanted $420.00 for it. No thanks.  Every other place I tried  same thing--out of stock.    Mine ain't broke yet been using it for almost 15 years.  But I like to think ahead;  know what t do if it fails.  Thanks.

Bob L, 08 dynasty

Hey Bobby,  I did get the Dometic 8740 macerator toilet installed.  It does fit and works well.  As with all things there were some challenges.  The Dometic specs listed the toilet as 19” high.  I had 19 1/4” to the bottom of the little shelf behind the toilet so thought it would be fine.  Specs were wrong and the toilet was more like 19 3/8” so it wouldn’t slide all the way back to the wall.  It’s only about an inch off so not noticeable.  The floor mounting bolts were wider than the Tecma so I had to drill holes in the tile floor.  Held my breath but got them drilled without cracking the floor.  The discharge pipe coming out of the toilet was different diameter but I was able to use a rubber coupling to connect and it worked out fine.  I opted for a wall pad control like was on my Tecma but it was quite a bit smaller so I had to fabricate a plate to mount it to.  Also the tank sensor wiring was a little different.  It was doable changeover but definitely not just plug and play.  I will include some pictures.  If you end up having to make the change I will be glad to help anyway I can.

IMG_5102.jpeg

IMG_5101.jpeg

IMG_5104.jpeg

IMG_5103.jpeg

IMG_5108.jpeg

IMG_5110.jpeg

IMG_5114.jpeg

IMG_5117.jpeg

IMG_5119.jpeg

• Like 2

Thanks Daryl.  The only thing I would have different is I have no shelf above the toilet.  Is the switch plug and play with existing wires or did you have to run new wiring??  Looks like you did a good job and congrats.  

Bob L, 08 dynasty

18 hours ago, Daryl Ammons said:

Hey Bobby,  I did get the Dometic 8740 macerator toilet installed.  It does fit and works well.  As with all things there were some challenges.  The Dometic specs listed the toilet as 19” high.  I had 19 1/4” to the bottom of the little shelf behind the toilet so thought it would be fine.  Specs were wrong and the toilet was more like 19 3/8” so it wouldn’t slide all the way back to the wall.  It’s only about an inch off so not noticeable.  The floor mounting bolts were wider than the Tecma so I had to drill holes in the tile floor.  Held my breath but got them drilled without cracking the floor.  The discharge pipe coming out of the toilet was different diameter but I was able to use a rubber coupling to connect and it worked out fine.  I opted for a wall pad control like was on my Tecma but it was quite a bit smaller so I had to fabricate a plate to mount it to.  Also the tank sensor wiring was a little different.  It was doable changeover but definitely not just plug and play.  I will include some pictures.  If you end up having to make the change I will be glad to help anyway I can.

IMG_5102.jpeg

IMG_5101.jpeg

IMG_5104.jpeg

IMG_5103.jpeg

IMG_5108.jpeg

IMG_5110.jpeg

IMG_5114.jpeg

IMG_5117.jpeg

IMG_5119.jpeg

You know, someone like you, in a former career, that depended on their fingers for their trade...and it was NOT construction or repairs or whatever, you did great.  LOL.  That is a first class job.  Glad it worked out...now get out of HERE....COLORADO calls....

• Thanks 1

Awesome job on the replacement! I just had to replace the macerator motor on our Tecma, so keeping our fingers crossed that it works for awhile. But good to know that Dometic has a similar model that can replace it in the event that it eventually fails.

• Like 1

On 8/22/2023 at 12:33 PM, Bobbyboy said:

Thanks Daryl.  The only thing I would have different is I have no shelf above the toilet.  Is the switch plug and play with existing wires or did you have to run new wiring??  Looks like you did a good job and congrats.  

Bob L, 08 dynasty

Thanks Bob.  The switch is not plug and play but I just pulled a wire through when I pulled the old wires out.  Then I used that wire to pull the new wires back in.  If you notice on the pictures there is also a shelf to the side of the toilet and the wires to the wall switch are there. The plug end on the wall switch wire was somewhat of a challenge to get fished through but it worked.  It was a tight fit.  The other option is to go with the Dometic with the flush handle on the toilet and then you don’t have to worry about getting that wire fished through to the vanity.  But then you got that large hole where the old wall pad was.  That is why I went back with the wall switch.

On 8/22/2023 at 5:33 PM, Tom Cherry said:

You know, someone like you, in a former career, that depended on their fingers for their trade...and it was NOT construction or repairs or whatever, you did great.  LOL.  That is a first class job.  Glad it worked out...now get out of HERE....COLORADO calls....

Thanks Tom and yes I am itching to head West for a bit.  We are gonna take about 6 days to work our selves out to Durango Co.  We will stay there a week then go to my daughters place in Colorado Springs.  Wife will stay there while I go elk hunting in Montrosse for a week.  Then we’ll head back east.  Oh and we are staying at Branson Mo. for a few days on the way out west.  Excited to get on the road.