Change from Thetford Tecma Toilet to another brand? Help!

Daryl Ammons

Thetford macerating toilet quit and can't get a controller for it from Thetford.  I have been searching vendors and the internet for over a week.  Finally come to the conclusion that I am going to have to put in a new toilet but having trouble even finding a OEM replacement. 

Two questions for the group

1. Is there any kind of work around to bypass that controller that anyone knows of?

2. Has anyone replaced the Thetford macerating toilet (Silence Plus) with another brand?

Got a trip coming up and need a toilet or my DW is going to extremely difficult to live with.  LOL

Thetford toilets are the worst brand of toilet one could have in a RV. Unfortunately you probably didn't realize that when searching for a coach.

It will take some work, however I would suggest switching to a Sealand Toilet such as the Concerto or one of their manual toilets made by Dometic. You will have to change out the floor flange as they used a different size flange from what Thetford uses.

I did the switch many years ago in my Windsor when the Thetford Aria II (aka POS) had way too much maintenance plus parts ALL the time. Back then, 2010, I was able to purchase a Sealand Magnum Opus toilet and replaced the floor flange. That toilet has been maintenance free until this past year when the new owners had to install a new control board.

Edited by Dr4Film
  • Thanks 1

My coach has two Thetford's that work flawlessly.  They are both macerators.   

Has Thetford stated that the boards are no longer available?

Curious as I have the same!

7 hours ago, LakeBob said:

Thetford has said they are not available now and there is no known time that they will be available.  Spoke with NWRV and they said they have taken the controllers out of 50 new toilets to supply their customers and beyond that they have customers that have been on a waiting list for controllers since January.  Also read online that there is a heat issue with the controllers and some of them will only work when coach is cold.  The coach owner that posted that (either on Monacoer's or IRV2, not sure which as I have read so much) said he spoke with a customer service person at Thetford and he did not recommend buying the controller, even if one came available, at this time because the heat issue has not been resolved.  Not sure if that is why they are not available or not.  I have even tried to find a new Thetford toilet but having problems finding one.  Someone online said they were blaming the supply issue on Covid.  Not sure I want to buy even a new one as I may be buying something I can't get parts for.  That is why I am looking at changing brands but I haven't found anyone that has made the change from Thetford to another macerating toilet brand.  One guy said he replaced his with a composting toilet but don't want to go that route.  Dometic does have the 8700 series that looks like it may work.  It does have tank sensors also but not sure if it would be compatable with the sensors that are already in my tank or not.  I think if I have to I can live without the sensors but I don't think I can go on a trip across the country without a toilet.  I have a 5000 mile trip coming up in September so I am sorta getting in a crunch.

Sorry for such a long answer but I am just ranting.  I hope yours continue to work good and you don't get into this situation.  At least you have two.  My one is the only one.  LOL

7 hours ago, LakeBob said:

Re: Thetford - New Consumer Inquiry

Inbox
Search for all messages with label Inbox

Remove label Inbox from this conversation

AJSPFBzrAxeyvXg5QDyOsxREOtIRwvZX_ppNLip3iStGavp7Ppc5PF6oHwgFGIMP2_Yt=s40-p

Customer Service US <consumersupport@thetford.com>

Sat, Aug 5, 6:48 PM (3 days ago)

cleardot.gif
cleardot.gif
to me
cleardot.gif
Thank you for contacting Consumer Support,
Both part numbers are currently on a back order with no ETA at this time. 
attachment?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJpZCI6ODAyNDA1Mzg4NjMsImRvbWFpbiI6InRoZXRmb3JkLmZyZXNoZGVzay5jb20iLCJhY2NvdW50X2lkIjoxOTExODQ0fQ.ut6kgo-mD6ovVQ44rlWz93LOOj1swltD8EWC5SKFKzo

After seeing your post I spent a couple hours searching around last night.  I found the post on IRV2 that echos and details your response, it was started early this year. 

The only other macerator solution I saw was the Dometic, and I had a hard time finding good, detailed information on the features and operation.  Don't kown if sensors would be compatible, etc.

Sorry to hear of your predicament, as I would be in the same boat, at least we have a bath and 1/2, so we've got a backup should we have a problem with one. 

Sad that they cannot resolve this issue. 

Someone with an entrepreneurial spirit and electrical engineering background could probably easily reproduce this board, it seems like a relatively simple control.  Unfortunately, the market demand probably wouldn't support the development costs...........

• Thanks 1

My Thetford Aria started to act up, I did the obvious checking connections/fuse etc.  It got progressively worse.  Nothing not being able to flush when your doing your business.  So yesterday I finally decided to pull it, I've had it out before, other then the weight and bulky to handle it's not bad.  Took out the blade flush mechanism and cleaned and lubricated, really couldn't find anything wrong.  But there were two wiring connectors for the small motor that are hard to get to and I forgot they were there, so I made sure to check how tight they were.  Also flipped the RV/residential selecting switch back and forth.  After doing all that and reinstalling all is good. 

So I looked at the controller, have you checked each of the many plug ins.  Might pay to work these and if you have some dielectric grease put it in the connectors. 

My 08 Dynasty has the Thetford Tecma;  the build sheet says it is a model 36500.  Daryl is that the same model as yours??  Fortunately I have never had a problem but you now have me worried as we are getting ready for a trip.  If the switch malfunctions I got problems cause there is no way to manually flush.  At least that I know of unless someone on here has a suggestion  I just am amazed that Thetford can't give you some guidance.  If you find a solutoin please keep us posted.

Bob L, 08 dynasty

3 hours ago, Bobbyboy said:

My 08 Dynasty has the Thetford Tecma;  the build sheet says it is a model 36500.  Daryl is that the same model as yours??  Fortunately I have never had a problem but you now have me worried as we are getting ready for a trip.  If the switch malfunctions I got problems cause there is no way to manually flush.  At least that I know of unless someone on here has a suggestion  I just am amazed that Thetford can't give you some guidance.  If you find a solutoin please keep us posted.

Bob L, 08 dynasty

Hey Bob, here is a picture if my toilet and the model number.  I am going to attempt putting a Dometic 8740 toilet in to replace the Thetford.  I will let you know how it goes.  Should be getting it Friday and putting it in this weekend.  I will post the results.

IMG_5070.jpeg

IMG_5068.jpeg

1 hour ago, birdshill123 said:

Unless something has changed the Tecma is not built by Thetford. It is European. French  I think. there  are not many macerating toilets that are designed for a NON drop situation. Marine people use Tecmas. You can spend over $2000 for a good one.

Tecma is sold under the Thetford brand as you can see in the attached product page.  It is even difficult to find the new Thetford toilets.  Don’t know what’s going on with the company but seems they are not producing any toilets or replacement part.  I don’t know who builds it but from my understanding is made in Italy.  Dometic and Saniflow also have none drop type macerating toilets.

IMG_5036.jpeg

It seems that this tyoe of toilet can be problematic. If you surf any of the rv forums that include entry level bath and half they all compain about toilets that do notwork well. I think some must hae a seperate pump as it is difficult to access the mrchanisms. Our unit is a 2008 and other than using too much warer the only problem has benn the soft touch push button. I supppose after this post it will quit. The very best rv toilet was the Sealand. It came in 2 heights  ,porcelain bowl and a ball and seal system tjat was easy to fix. I think Dometic now makes that toilet

• Thanks 1

Daryl

Just a heads up.  We bought one 3 years ago at Laurelhurst distributing in Portland Or.  They were the original supplier for Monaco and Beaver etc.  Google them.

Also I found a new Tecma low profile so I assume it comes with the computer and works with the sensors.  It was on EBay for  about $1000.  I searched “Tecma Toilet”.

Lastly ours quit and it was the computer.  I replaced the computer but had a hunch it was the connector because the wiring ran into a pigtail then into the main plug.  The pig tail split but went nowhere and I eliminated it so better connections.  Later thought it may just have been that pigtail and bad contacts.

Best of luck there.

• Thanks 1

On 8/9/2023 at 9:45 AM, jacwjames said:

My Thetford Aria started to act up, I did the obvious checking connections/fuse etc.  It got progressively worse.  Nothing not being able to flush when your doing your business.  So yesterday I finally decided to pull it, I've had it out before, other then the weight and bulky to handle it's not bad.  Took out the blade flush mechanism and cleaned and lubricated, really couldn't find anything wrong.  But there were two wiring connectors for the small motor that are hard to get to and I forgot they were there, so I made sure to check how tight they were.  Also flipped the RV/residential selecting switch back and forth.  After doing all that and reinstalling all is good. 

So I looked at the controller, have you checked each of the many plug ins.  Might pay to work these and if you have some dielectric grease put it in the connectors. 

Thanks for the info.  I did check and work all the connections multiple times and made sure I had power to the controller but nothing made any difference.  Also took the macerator apart to make sure nothing clogged.  I checked according to Thetford troubleshooting and all indications are bad controller.

13 hours ago, birdshill123 said:

It seems that this tyoe of toilet can be problematic. If you surf any of the rv forums that include entry level bath and half they all compain about toilets that do notwork well. I think some must hae a seperate pump as it is difficult to access the mrchanisms. Our unit is a 2008 and other than using too much warer the only problem has benn the soft touch push button. I supppose after this post it will quit. The very best rv toilet was the Sealand. It came in 2 heights  ,porcelain bowl and a ball and seal system tjat was easy to fix. I think Dometic now makes that toilet

Thanks Bruce,  since I couldn’t find a controller for the Thetford I have ordered the Dometic.  I will post once I get it and get it installed and let everyone know how it works and how difficult the changeover is.

Daryl:  Let me know how the Dometic fits;  I assume it is a macerator type.  Also I found a controller(p/n36387) on E-Bay but they wanted $420.00 for it. No thanks.  Every other place I tried  same thing--out of stock.    Mine ain't broke yet been using it for almost 15 years.  But I like to think ahead;  know what t do if it fails.  Thanks.

Bob L, 08 dynasty

3 hours ago, Dr4Film said:

Daryl, forgot to ask if your toilet is sitting on top of your black tank? If not then your only option is to have a macerator type toilet. Any of the gravity type toilets will not work in your coach.

You are correct, Mine does not sit over the black tank so I don’t have any choice but go with Same macerator type toilet.  

17 hours ago, Bobbyboy said:

Daryl:  Let me know how the Dometic fits;  I assume it is a macerator type.  Also I found a controller(p/n36387) on E-Bay but they wanted $420.00 for it. No thanks.  Every other place I tried  same thing--out of stock.    Mine ain't broke yet been using it for almost 15 years.  But I like to think ahead;  know what t do if it fails.  Thanks.

Bob L, 08 dynasty

The controller for mine was 36311 or newer number 36398.  I received my new toilet yesterday and hopefully will get it installed this weekend.  I will post as soon as I get it finished.

On 8/7/2023 at 2:21 PM, Daryl Ammons said:

Thetford macerating toilet quit and can't get a controller for it from Thetford.  I have been searching vendors and the internet for over a week.  Finally come to the conclusion that I am going to have to put in a new toilet but having trouble even finding a OEM replacement. 

Two questions for the group

1. Is there any kind of work around to bypass that controller that anyone knows of?

2. Has anyone replaced the Thetford macerating toilet (Silence Plus) with another brand?

Got a trip coming up and need a toilet or my DW is going to extremely difficult to live with.  LOL

What is the controller style and part number you need?

I replaced one of my two controllers from the original one-button style to a newer two-button style.  I was told to jumper the two sensor leads to yield a green light.  I have purchased a second two-button controller but have not yet installed it.  So I have one & maybe two) of the controllers you need.  Again—style and part numbers would help.  

I have seen new Tecma Silence Plus toilets online for $1200-1400, but replacing the controller(s) would be so much more cost-effective.:

On 8/11/2023 at 8:42 PM, johncvandoren@gmail.com said:

What is the controller style and part number you need?

I replaced one of my two controllers from the original one-button style to a newer two-button style.  I was told to jumper the two sensor leads to yield a green light.  I have purchased a second two-button controller but have not yet installed it.  So I have one & maybe two) of the controllers you need.  Again—style and part numbers would help.  

I have seen new Tecma Silence Plus toilets online for $1200-1400, but replacing the controller(s) would be so much more cost-effective.:

36311 or 36398 is the controller number I need for the macerating toilet.  It was initially the 311 but then changed to the 398 number.