Cranky Power Windshield Shade

Go to solution Solved by Mike H,

The driver's side power windshield shade sometimes just won't retract. ( there are 2 shades)Screenshot_20230917-200927_Gallery.thumb.jpg.0f63f006fb742c6bd178bd751b26a2fa.jpg I can fuss with the dash switch by repeatedly pushing it, and eventually it agrees to pull the shade up. Down is not an issue. Today when I took "him" out for excercise,  i was concerned it wasn't going to cooperate at all, so enough is enough. Your input is appreciated.

2008 Safari Simba, Workhorse 36PCT coach

I had the same problem with mine a year ago.  I had to replace the switch.  When I went to unplug the switch pulled right of the switch housing.  It's a Carling switch and they can be found at NW RV Supply.  I'll have to go see what the part number for mine is.

• Solution

Here's switch I had to replace for my shade and where I bought it.  I also bought an actuator removal tool but you can just use a flat head screwdriver instead.  The switch will come without the actuator so try not to break yours when removing it..

20200717_143653.jpg

Carling Actuator removal tool.jpg

Driver side front shade switch.jpg

Driver side front shade switch_02.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

To bring you up to date, I ordered the relay switch, and 4 more since the panel of 5 are all the same and these were limited availability. He may be in the hospital, but I wanted to think what my husband would do. Still didn't work after I switched the old for new, so after investigating more, it seemed the receiver part of the relay on the inside of the dash was misaligned. Using a length of self adhesive tape, I looped the receiver and pulled it forward towards the opening, inserted the relay pushing and pulling to assure good fit and voila! I trimmed the extra tape length off, put the switch plate back on and it works as it should!.We have sun shades! 

20231004_155048.thumb.jpg.a0077c9a23bd9344d7c0c09278cecc83.jpg

Edited by KarenG
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same problem with the driver side shade on my Safari Simba 37dbd.  After a struggle, I was able to pull the switch and swap it with the passenger side shade switch.  The switch is good which I guess means I have to pull the shade and play with the motor.  I will post what I find. 

• 2 weeks later...

Pulling the shade was a blast, I had to sit on the dash backward over the steering wheel and use a long bit on the driver to take the 4 screws out.  No connector on the tiny (22 gauge) wire so I had to cut it.  Pulled the motor and finally found a label.  For my 2008 Safari Simba the motor is AutoMotion Shade EL-4260-1250-AMS.  Naturally it is not listed on their web site and the customer service rep I e mailed back and forth with called it obsolete.  He did say they had a few left and was happy to sell me one.  I wonder if I should have bought 2?  I could get the motor to sort of work on the bench but there is some kind of mechanical holdup going on and I probably messed it up trying to take it apart.  

I will report on the installation of the new one when I get it done.  

Chip

2008 Safari Simba gas

There is a large range of motors listed on the AutoMotion Shade web site and prices are all over the board depending on which one you need.  I had to pull my motor to see which one it is.  There is a label on the shade housing but the installers had covered it with aluminum tape and removing that also removed the label so I still don't know exactly which shade I have.

Chip

Safari Simba 36DBD

20 hours ago, Chipper said:

Pulling the shade was a blast, I had to sit on the dash backward over the steering wheel and use a long bit on the driver to take the 4 screws out

The alternative is to have it fall while you are driving…as ours did! Hope to be able to fabricate a bracket to hold it.

That was the same thing we did for quite awhile,  but then it quit all together in the down position. Not good. I must have held my mouth right, because I finally got it to rise all the way. I hope the solution here helps you, too. 

Anyone have info on https://www.irvineshadeanddoor.com/products/roller-shades/?

my coach has these installed and aside from the 'window shades falling apart’ the front side to side shade only works on the day time shade.  
Same  issue as noted in this thread.  Motor 'glitches'........ apparently previous owner already put in 2 new motors ?????

The local vendor in Orange County CA doesn't answer calls, the other is in Mesa AZ..... ?.   send it all back to Elkhart?

L

4 hours ago, astgerma said:

I have the same problem with the driver side shade.  It does not want to go back up.  But if I push the down and quickly push the up it will go up.  this happens all the time.

I have found that just changing the shade switch solves that problem.  I have had this happen to me several times and it has always been the switch.