Toad wiring in the RV?

Garry Donohue
Go to solution Solved by Garry Donohue,

I have a 2007 Dynasty and just purchased a 2023 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit model. I plan to use the Air Force One Proportional air braking system. As my Jeep has electric power steering, I know I need a charge line from the RV to the Toads battery. So my question, Did Monaco wire their 2007 Dynastys with the charge wire running to the wire harness at the rear bumper? And has anyone installed this system ? E Trailer has good videos on the install of everything at the Toad. My concern is at the RV with where to cut into the air lines and where to mount the accumulater tank that comes with the system. 

I don't have the answer to that question,  but I tow a 2022 Gladiator w electric steering and do not have a charge line and have not had any issues.  I use a Ready Brute Elite towbar. Also towed a 2018 Wrangler w same steering and no charge line. Just FYI. 

On 10/30/2023 at 1:37 PM, Garry Donohue said:

I have a 2007 Dynasty and just purchased a 2023 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit model. I plan to use the Air Force One Proportional air braking system. As my Jeep has electric power steering, I know I need a charge line from the RV to the Toads battery. So my question, Did Monaco wire their 2007 Dynastys with the charge wire running to the wire harness at the rear bumper? And has anyone installed this system ? E Trailer has good videos on the install of everything at the Toad. My concern is at the RV with where to cut into the air lines and where to mount the accumulater tank that comes with the system. 

YES…refer or read your Manual and also look at the prints.  There is a “12 VDC” line in there and the “pin” is on the print and maybe in your manual.  The 7 pin or it you have a 6 pin connector has the following

Ground; Left and Right Turn (also the Brake light); Park; 12 VDC Charging AND a “brake control wire”.  The infamous BLUE wire.  Monaco prewired all MH in 2005. ,GOOFED as usual.  BUT in 2007, yours should be GOOD.  You need to do the following…

Install a 15 A, resettable Circuit Breaker IN THE TOAD, for the charge…hook up the Monaco 12 VDC to it…the directly to the TOAD battery.  NOW, you do NOT get a FULL TIME always on 12VDC.  It ONLY is there when the Ignition switch is ON. Powered and fused via a relay

Your lights may be a challenge.  IF you have SEPARATE turn signals….and they do NOT light up with the Brakes ON (talking about the TOAD), you are going to need a 4 wire to 5 wire adapter.  Commonly used.  This is for the taillights….NOT CONNECTED to charging.

OK…simplistically….whenever you attach a MONACO TailLight wire to a wire going to the corresponding TOAD wire….NEVER ATTACH DIRECTLY.  You run a HIGH RISK of damaging your TOAD electrical system

Roadmaster, the TOW BAR company, makes a “DIODE KIT”.  No EE degree requirements.  Watch a video. The TOAD wire….going to the BULB…where you cut it….goes to the one marked BULB or “load”.  Then the original TOAD wire….where you cut it, goes to ONE of the other two terminal or wires….doesn’t matter which.  The Monaco wire, run from the front to the back, goes to the other.  This is an Electrical CHECK VALVE.  It prevents the Monaco wire from getting or being attached to the TOAD system,  It allows the original TOAD signal to work…and NOT backfeed to the Monaco.

If you have a 4 wire system on the TOAD, no need for a 4 to 5 converter..  You need 3 DIODES.  LT, RT & Park.  NOT GROUND! If you need a converter….use the wires OUT of the converter….  LT, RT, Park & Brake or FOUR DIODES…

That’s it.

• Solution

Yes ETrailer sells a diode kit called smart diodes as they are made specifically for toads with LED bulbs which I have. They sell a charge line that goes from front bumper of toad to the toad battery. The tow bar Caries  the charge line from the rear of coach to front bumper of toad. Also sold is a charge line from RV battery to rear of RV bumper to attach to toad. So you answered the question. I don’t need the RV charge line. As always thanks. I assume there will be schematics showing the various air lines in my coach. I have to cut into the supply and the metered line with “T’s” to bring air to the rear of coach for braking system. ETrailer shows how it’s done but in a non Monaco coach. I was up under the rear axle today. Looks like spaghetti up there, I don’t want to cut the wrong lines. 

IMG_4246.jpeg

IMG_4245.jpeg