2006 Dynasty - Side Radiator hose

Question:  Do the full size Monaco have flexible hose fill lines?  In general, I found Monaco used top quality hose for coolant, and oil.  However, the photo below shows my diesel fuel fill (I think it's 2"?) hose cracked and seeping fuel.  This was 9 years after production. I replaced with a more suitable hose, which has served me for 13 years without signs of failure. I know this because I dropped my fuel tank this month and checked the interior / exterior of the diesel fill hose.

IMG_0482.JPG

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Robert92867 said:

Question:  Do the full size Monaco have flexible hose fill lines?  In general, I found Monaco used top quality hose for coolant, and oil.  However, the photo below shows my diesel fuel fill (I think it's 2"?) hose cracked and seeping fuel.  This was 9 years after production. I replaced with a more suitable hose, which has served me for 13 years without signs of failure. I know this because I dropped my fuel tank this month and checked the interior / exterior of the diesel fill hose.

IMG_0482.JPG

Most of the Monaco's I've dealt with from the late 90's through mid-2000's have had direct tank fill utilizing a fill door.  Our previous Beaver on Gillig chassis was leaking when we purchased it at 9 years old.  I replaced it upon first purchasing the coach with Gates 2" fuel hose that I purchased from my local NAPA store.  It's stiff and not easy to work with but is good hose and held up well until we sold the coach.

Guest Ray Davis
7 minutes ago, zmotorsports said:

Most of the Monaco's I've dealt with from the late 90's through mid-2000's have had direct tank fill utilizing a fill door.  Our previous Beaver on Gillig chassis was leaking when we purchased it at 9 years old.  I replaced it upon first purchasing the coach with Gates 2" fuel hose that I purchased from my local NAPA store.  It's stiff and not easy to work with but is good hose and held up well until we sold the coach.

I may be all wet here but IIRCC on Bobs Knight the fuel tank runs front to back centered in the coach where as ours runs side to side.  Side to side has many advantages especially accessing the top of the tank.

On 11/5/2023 at 10:48 AM, Happycarz said:

Jeff,

Silicone hoses permeate water, but not coolant. OTR trucks tend to loose five gallons of water per year.  (So, does that mean a motorhome might use a pint in a year?) When the trucker keeps topping off his system with 50/50 coolant mixture, the coolant becomes more and more concentrated. 

But, the silicone hoses are more durable than the rubber ones.  I don’t feel I need a more durable type of hose as I get 10 years out of the rubber ones. I rather spend the money in other places. But, that is just me.  

Mark,

I read where the Dynasty has a couple of 45° hoses, but don’t have any firsthand knowledge.  Hopefully, someone that has such coach can chime in. Otherwise, off to the parts store with your old ones.

Paul,

After 7 years I bought spare hoses to be able to replace every hose on my coach. I procrastinated and replaced all mine at 11 years.  And I bought another set to put in the spare parts bin.

There is one hose that should be replaced more frequently.  The 3/8” coolant hose that attaches to the top of the turbo, which is subjected to extremely high heat and tends to crack prematurely.  But, The lower coolant return hose happens to be a steel braided line with crimped swivels and is more durable. 

Water cooled turbos, which most are, have these.

When I spotted the condition of mine, I checked out my buddies similar coaches. Theirs too were bad. As long as the engine is cold and the pressure is relieved, changing that 3’ hose is simple with very little coolant loss. 

It would be wise to take a look at this small overlooked hose.

IMG_1646.jpeg

IMG_1648.jpeg

Thanks to everyone who chimed in on the radiator hose replacement project on our 06 Dynasty w/ ISL 400, side radiator & external trans cooler. The project is complete including new coolant pipes & turbo coolant return hose. Here are the Dayco hoses that we used:

• 3 - Dayco 70920
  • 1 - Dayco 72140
  • 1 - Dayco 70921 

2 Dayco 70920 were used (trimmed to fit) b/t the engine block, surge tank Y & external trans cooler. The other 70920 was used b/t the lower coolant pipe & external trans cooler. The Dayco 72140 was installed b/t the upper coolant pipe & upper radiator. The Dayco 70921 was trimmed to fit b/t the lower coolant pipe & radiator. The excess from the 70921 was more than sufficient for the straight hose b/t the upper coolant pipe & the thermostat housing. And, we also put a new thermostat in while we were in there.

I took the coolant pipes to a local muffler shop & they fabricated new coolant pipes for us (2 pipes for $75 - couldn't believe it!).

We've order a new surge tank from C-Low Fabricators & hope to install it before we take our next trip!

Thanks again for all the advice! This group is amazing!