2006 Dynasty - Side Radiator hose

I’ve been getting in the habit of documenting every part number any time I have to address an issue on our coach. I’ve searched, and a number of our REAR radiator friends (Ambassador & Knight owners) have been kind to do the same & then post the NAPA or Dayco part numbers for the radiator hoses for their rigs. That’s such valuable info - thank you!

I’m wondering if any of our SIDE radiator 2006 Dynasty (ISL w/ side radiator w/ external trans cooler) owners have replaced their radiator hoses & have documented/remember the part numbers? I’m well aware of the the “take them off & go to a parts store to match up” advice. Just thought there may be some proactive 2006-ish Dynasty owners that may have saved this info & will share it with other owners.

Thank you!

Edited by Newcsn

2008 Camelot, side radiator, external trans cooler, built May 2007, with ISL400

Monaco used 2 ¼” hoses for the cooling systems in many models.  They also used an 1 ¼” hose from the surge tank to the engine.

In my case I needed (2) 90° hoses, 3’ of straight 2 ¼” hose and 3’ of 1 ¼” hose. There are different types of straight hose and the factory blue stripe had a high failure rate, as evidenced back in 2008-2009. The NAPA white stripe has shown the best life, 10 years vs 1 ½ years. Many folks tried the green stripe and yellow stripe, only to find the NAPA white stripe to be the premier hose.

With the 3’ of the strait hose, you will be able to make many replacement strait hoses. You should only need two of the 90°, trimmed to fit. 

IMG_4546.jpeg

IMG_7296.jpeg

• Like 2

I have NO DOG in this fight and HappyCarz has made a lot of great posts.

However, I will only add what my OTR truck shop recommends  He uses the Gates GREEN STRIPE which is actually a HEAVY DUTY ECR Commercial truck and bus hose.  NAPA has an IDENTICAL PRODUCT....and the specs are the same.  BUT, I wanted to make sure that what was posted, White Stripe, was NOT the same....  There are a LOT of opinions out there...such as Ford Vs Toyota Vs Chevy Vs Ram on trucks and such....

Here are three links.  I read the specs on each one....but MAYBE there is more than meets the eyes and I didn't catch.

NAPA WHITE TRIPE.  That is the 605/615 Hose.  NAPA says it is STANDARD DUTY....2 Ply... I actually cross referenced the UPC on both.  That was INTERESTING.  In 2018, Happy made a post on IRV2.  A followup poster said that he had used the NBH605.  But, his LINK back then was to a NBG605.  I tried all of them.  BEST I understand.  The 615/605 (use NBH 605 and NBH 615) comes up as STANDARD Duty 2 Ply hose.  IT MAY have been different back in 2018.  The markings are different.  NOW, the hose is a "White Striped"  one....with only ONE short White Stripe.  https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/NBH605

Scroll down and read the specs.  Pretty straight forward.  This is TWO ply and only "MEETS" the spec...and is ALSO not an ECR.  BUT....just to be sure.....

OK....tried another approach.  Used the Manufacturer's UPC Code Lookup site.  Used 0 29769 32727 0

BINGO....Pay Dirt.....    https://www.barcodelookup.com/029769327272

NOW, if you look up the "white stripe" NAPA hose, the markings are different.  Here it is...

UPC 029769327272  Napa Belts Hoses NBH 605 Straight Light-Duty Coolant Hose

NOW....how about the Gates GREEN STRIPE....

https://www.gates.com/us/en/fluid-power/engine-hose/coolant-hose.p.4168-000000-000000.v.4168-01712.html

I know several well known members here that are "opinionated" and this is the ONLY hose they use.  So, when my guy used it... I figured it was OK....

OK....  NAPA, does if you search....have a Heavy Duty Hose....and it is ECR. This is what MOST folks are using....  And, there is a LOT of chatter, that the NAPA Green Stripe comes out of the same factory as the Gates GREEN. HOWEVER....NOTE...in this size....it is ONLY a 2 Ply....but is called HEAVY DUTY

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/NBH631

BUT, in a larger size....it then becomes 4 Ply...

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/NBH672

My take...  The Blue and Green OEM was probably crappy.  Monaco actually, on my 2009 Camelot uses FUEL HOSE for the line from the manifold up to the Reserve Tank.  THAT LEAKED...BIG TIME.  I was fortunate and the clamp was actually loose.  I tightened it and had it REPLACED.  It was frayed and ugly.  Obviously the inner plies were NOT strong.  That is what I was made aware of the "WHY WE USE GREEN STRIPED GATES".  SO, I don't pretend to be an expert...but looking at the specs...I would purchase the GATES GREEN STRIPE and  ONLY use HD 4 Ply that EXCEEDS the specs.  As to the curved pieces, I don't have a clue....but the "WHITE STRIPE" did catch my eye and I decided to do a little research.

OK...what about the MOLDED.  The Dayco looks great.  It DOES meet the SAE 20R4 Class D1. 

https://www.stockwiseauto.com/dayco-71239-radiator-coolant-hose

That is the IMPROVED SERVICE EPDM....BEST.  And Gates has the same specs.... D2 is NOT as good....

https://www.gates.com/us/en/fluid-power/engine-hose/heater-hose.p.4294-000000-000000.html 

Bottom LINE....do your research.  There ARE DIFFERENCES.  I would NOT use the SAE 20R4 Class D2....obviously NOT the D3...so make sure that you get the best spec for the MOLDED ones....

Happy is right.  NEVER trust the hoses....  Hope this adds a little more factual and specifications research and such to the post so folks can make the best choice.

• Like 1

FWIW, the OE 90° 2 1/4” hoses on my coach were Dayco hoses. I didn’t have to look up the part number as the label was still intact. I changed those after 11 years. Yikes!

I misspoke above about the Gates green stripe. I went back to my old posts on iRV2 to help me sort this out.  It was a Gates blue stripe. 

The original vender of the OE 1 ¼” blue stripe hose was Gates. Those hoses failed from the outside, with many visible cracks, especially at the slight bends.  And, lookin back at athe old iRV2 post, I see where Monaco also used a yellow striped 1 ¼” hose in 2007 - 2008, which was a Gates Vulcan coolant hose. Bill willard had two of them fail on his coach. (His picture is below, turned sideways for easier reading.)

Most were failing at less than 2 years, leaving many folks stranded along the roadway. Mine was cracking at less than one year old, so when I went to the Oregon service center for warranty work I had them replace it. Less than a year later it was again.  After doing my research, I went with the NAPA hose.  That hose was on for 9 years, in the AZ heat (115°+) pulling 6% grades.  This is actual real world experience. The hose still looked good when I changed it, but due to its age it needed to be replaced.  I have no qualms about recommending the NAPA white stripe hoses.

IMG_2158.jpeg

• Thanks 1

I’m looking at replacing my coolant in my coach and replacing coolant hoses, I’ve already replaced the hoses to the surge tank from the engine as they were hard and timed out,  I chose to use silicone hoses, is there any reason you didn’t go with silicone hoses instead of the rubber hose?

• Like 1

On 11/3/2023 at 1:50 PM, Happycarz said:

Monaco used 2 ¼” hoses for the cooling systems in many models.  They also used an 1 ¼” hose from the surge tank to the engine.

In my case I needed (2) 90° hoses, 3’ of straight 2 ¼” hose and 3’ of 1 ¼” hose. There are different types of straight hose and the factory blue stripe had a high failure rate, as evidenced back in 2008-2009. The NAPA white stripe has shown the best life, 10 years vs 1 ½ years. Many folks tried the green stripe and yellow stripe, only to find the NAPA white stripe to be the premier hose.

With the 3’ of the strait hose, you will be able to make many replacement strait hoses. You should only need two of the 90°, trimmed to fit. 

IMG_4546.jpeg

IMG_7296.jpeg

Thanks @Happycarz - looks like the 90s may work in a couple locations. However, our Dynasty must be configured slightly different. It has a couple hoses to the radiator that look more in the range of a 30 degree bend. I may just have to do it the old-fashioned way - take them all off & then start chasing down a match! Thanks

What is the expected life span of engine coolant hoses?  I’ve only replaced the short top hose on my coach. I intended to replace the lower hose coming off the bottom of the radiator, but after checking it decided it was okay. Hoses appear to be original and no noticeable cracks or fatigue, with 55k on odo. 

Jeff,

Silicone hoses permeate water, but not coolant. OTR trucks tend to loose five gallons of water per year.  (So, does that mean a motorhome might use a pint in a year?) When the trucker keeps topping off his system with 50/50 coolant mixture, the coolant becomes more and more concentrated. 

But, the silicone hoses are more durable than the rubber ones.  I don’t feel I need a more durable type of hose as I get 10 years out of the rubber ones. I rather spend the money in other places. But, that is just me.  

Mark,

I read where the Dynasty has a couple of 45° hoses, but don’t have any firsthand knowledge.  Hopefully, someone that has such coach can chime in. Otherwise, off to the parts store with your old ones.

Paul,

After 7 years I bought spare hoses to be able to replace every hose on my coach. I procrastinated and replaced all mine at 11 years.  And I bought another set to put in the spare parts bin.

There is one hose that should be replaced more frequently.  The 3/8” coolant hose that attaches to the top of the turbo, which is subjected to extremely high heat and tends to crack prematurely.  But, The lower coolant return hose happens to be a steel braided line with crimped swivels and is more durable. 

Water cooled turbos, which most are, have these.

When I spotted the condition of mine, I checked out my buddies similar coaches. Theirs too were bad. As long as the engine is cold and the pressure is relieved, changing that 3’ hose is simple with very little coolant loss. 

It would be wise to take a look at this small overlooked hose.

IMG_1646.jpeg

IMG_1648.jpeg

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Happycarz said:

Jeff,

Silicone hoses permeate water, but not coolant. OTR trucks tend to loose five gallons of water per year.  (So, does that mean a motorhome might use a pint in a year?) When the trucker keeps topping off his system with 50/50 coolant mixture, the coolant becomes more and more concentrated. 

But, the silicone hoses are more durable than the rubber ones.  I don’t feel I need a more durable type of hose as I get 10 years out of the rubber ones. I rather spend the money in other places. But, that is just me.  

Mark,

I read where the Dynasty has a couple of 45° hoses, but don’t have any firsthand knowledge.  Hopefully, someone that has such coach can chime in. Otherwise, off to the parts store with your old ones.

Paul,

After 7 years I bought spare hoses to be able to replace every hose on my coach. I procrastinated and replaced all mine at 11 years.  And I bought another set to put in the spare parts bin.

There is one hose that should be replaced more frequently.  The 3/8” coolant hose that attaches to the top of the turbo, which is subjected to extremely high heat and tends to crack prematurely.  But, The lower coolant return hose happens to be a steel braided line with crimped swivels and is more durable. 

Water cooled turbos, which most are, have these.

When I spotted the condition of mine, I checked out my buddies similar coaches. Theirs too were bad. As long as the engine is cold and the pressure is relieved, changing that 3’ hose is simple with very little coolant loss. 

It would be wise to take a look at this small overlooked hose.

IMG_1646.jpeg

IMG_1648.jpeg

Thanks again @Happycarz. So far, it's off to the parts store we go! Sure appreciate your feedback on the small hose to the turbo! We'll definitely be addressing it!

On 11/5/2023 at 8:09 AM, Pduggs said:

What is the expected life span of engine coolant hoses?  I’ve only replaced the short top hose on my coach. I intended to replace the lower hose coming off the bottom of the radiator, but after checking it decided it was okay. Hoses appear to be original and no noticeable cracks or fatigue, with 55k on odo. 

I lost my turbo coolant hose on a trip as happycarz pointed out on his photo, to cracking. 2006 coach around 85K miles. All of mine large hoses looked like his and all of the smaller hoses would crack and split if bent.  Be proactive and change them all. Flush the system and put in some OAT so you don't have to worry about SCA level.  Not much fun climbing around the engine compartment on a 90 degree day in a parking lot.   I was able to replace that hose once I found where the leak was.  I feel a lot better knowing I have that project behind me.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Hockeydiesel said:

Dayco has an online chart for hoses and belts. Covers most Monaco models, not all engines. Google- daycoaftermarket- choose Heavy Duty, where it says Automotive, then enter your info ( year, make, model, engine ). It worked for my coach. Good luck, Mike.

Spot on! Thank you @Hockeydiesel!!! It had all the hose numbers/specs for Dynasty! Thank you!

1 hour ago, Newcsn said:

Spot on! Thank you @Hockeydiesel!!! It had all the hose numbers/specs for Dynasty! Thank you!

I am not saying this is not helpful information, but I bought all the hoses they had listed for my coach, 2006 Dynasty ISL 400. I had to shorten most of them and still needed additional large hoses and all of the small return lines.  I bought them up front and then took on the project. If it works out and you have time just remove all your hoses and use the local parts store.  You may still need to cut some length off. 

2 minutes ago, rustykramermetalfab said:

I am not saying this is not helpful information, but I bought all the hoses they had listed for my coach, 2006 Dynasty ISL 400. I had to shorten most of them and still needed additional large hoses and all of the small return lines.  I bought them up front and then took on the project. If it works out and you have time just remove all your hoses and use the local parts store.  You may still need to cut some length off. 

Thanks @rustykramermetalfab - truly appreciate the additional perspective! I’m actually at our coach as I’m writing & doing some measuring before I order hoses. Yes, there are a couple hoses that will need to be trimmed to fit - especially at the cooler. However, on our coach, the bends/specs/sizes match up. We’ll see if my eyes & their specs agree! Thanks again!

2 minutes ago, Newcsn said:

Thanks @rustykramermetalfab - truly appreciate the additional perspective! I’m actually at our coach as I’m writing & doing some measuring before I order hoses. Yes, there are a couple hoses that will need to be trimmed to fit - especially at the cooler. However, on our coach, the bends/specs/sizes match up. We’ll see if my eyes & their specs agree! Thanks again!

Hey, no problem, enjoy working on the coach, that project is a big one. I just replaced every hose fitting and clamp while I was doing it also. Kept all the old stuff too you just never know....

You can't tell the condition of a hose on the inside from the outside.  I replaced all of mine 7-years ago, I used silicone where I could, and rubber for the others.  I am going to change the non silicone hoses again and leave the silicone ones alone.  Everyone has their own opinion, I go 7 to 8 years max.  For what little they cost it's worth the peace of mind.  In fact I haven't even thought about them until reading this thread thanks for the reminder.  

On 11/3/2023 at 1:50 PM, Happycarz said:

IMG_4546.jpeg

IMG_7296.jpeg

@Happycarz I'm looking for the 1 1/4" hose to run from our surge tank down to the block. The only length I'm finding out there from NAPA or Gates is 3' max. Was yours longer that 3'? If so, where did your find longer lengths? I haven't pulled ours off yet, but I'm guessing it's at least 6' long.

NAPA has a "Gold" 1/ 1/4" hose that is "standard wall thickness & exceeds D1 specs". I'm wondering if this is sufficient?

Thanks

Edited by Newcsn

Mine was less than the full three feet I bought. Mine goes from the bottom of the surge tank to the Y by the lower engine radiator hose. I would think yours would be the same. At the same time, Monaco was not consistent with all coaches.  

Hopefully, when you measure it, you will find it shorter. 

I don’t have a good picture of the routing to share with you. Sorry.

20 hours ago, Happycarz said:

Mine was less than the full three feet I bought. Mine goes from the bottom of the surge tank to the Y by the lower engine radiator hose. I would think yours would be the same. At the same time, Monaco was not consistent with all coaches.  

Hopefully, when you measure it, you will find it shorter. 

I don’t have a good picture of the routing to share with you. Sorry.

@Happycarz Well, that 1 1/4" hose from the surge tank is definitely over 3' - and actually closer to 6'. On our Dynasty (side radiator) the surge tank sits high on the passenger side of the engine compartment & the hose connects mid-way on the driver's side of the engine. I'm hoping the standard wall 1 1/4" hose from NAPA will be sufficient - it is a D1 spec hose. Obviously, I'll be keeping a close eye on it! Thanks again for your feedback!

On 11/5/2023 at 9:48 AM, Happycarz said:

Jeff,

That’s interesting Harry, where did you find this information? 

7 hours ago, Happycarz said:

I get it, now. With your tank mounted on passenger’s side does make for a long hose run. I assumed all the tanks were mounted on the driver’s side, like mine. Learn something new every day.

As you can see my tank is above where the hose connects to the Y pipe below.

IMG_0545.jpeg

Now that is one very clean and sparkly looking engine. 

Paul,

Fortunately for me, my motorhome resides at my home, under cover. So I get to go out and piddle with it anytime I want. 

“It’s just a hobby” is my mentality.  Otherwise I would go nuts with all the service, repairs, and upgrades I do to it.  And I enjoy my hobby and I am thinking of how I can make it a little better, little by little.

Next project is to install a hot water recirculating system. My water heater is not midship, but all the way to the rear corner, and getting hot water to the kitchen sink takes some time.  That faucet is the last one one the hot water line. (The Camelot model does not have the Miniblock system.)  As I dry camp in the National Forest a lot, conserving water extends my stay.

I have it all designed and the parts on hand. Now,in just have to get to it.

Everything on the coach has to be working or I am after it. This includes the engine. So, I keep it clean and can tell if there are any leaks, noises, or anything else out of place. Plus it is nice to look at a clean engine.

IMG_1652.jpeg

• Like 2