Step Well Cover

IMG_5683.thumb.jpeg.f0cd75dab283b8626031c2e96b30ac0f.jpegCan anyone tell me how to go about changing the step well cover electric motor. I cant even get the step cover frame out because it hits the door frame first so there is still no access to the motor mounting hardware to change it. Anyone got any tips, has anyone had ground issues causing the motor to draw more amps tripping the resetting circuit breaker or is it generally a worn motor issue ? it works but as soon as you hit the switch it will move a 1/2 inch and trip the circuit breaker over and over.

Edited by 06Windsor

I took my unit out for repairs. I’ll be home tomorrow if you want directions on how to remove. Send me a private email and we can talk over the phone if your ok with that. I hate typing!!!

GaryIMG_2447.thumb.jpeg.0d6c45587ada1ef2089b3d5779692d33.jpeg

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/2004-monaco-electric-step-cover-204152.html

Motor info.  Dayton motor is on Amazon.  Way cheaper.

Read this,  there are several IRV2 topics.  Gary seems like a great resource.

use the Search Box.  Step Well Cover.  Choose Topics.  Unfortunately there are some posts that discuss the AIR system, which I do NOT believe you have….sort of “disregard” and stick to the lead screw and the single Dayton motor.  Lubrication is the key.  Also, mine has (maybe yours….a common circuit) two relays.  They will fail.  One thing…as the system wears….mine needs to be held ON and then the relays engage and the motor ramps up.  Panic and shut off the switch…the motor is in a bind.  I push or pull if it gets that way.  After lubing…..and then changing our “technique”, NO issues….

3 minutes ago, Tom Cherry said:

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/2004-monaco-electric-step-cover-204152.html

Motor info.  Dayton motor is on Amazon.  Way cheaper.

Read this,  there are several IRV2 topics.  Gary seems like a great resource.

use the Search Box.  Step Well Cover.  Choose Topics.  Unfortunately there are some posts that discuss the AIR system, which I do NOT believe you have….sort of “disregard” and stick to the lead screw and the single Dayton motor.  Lubrication is the key.  Also, mine has (maybe yours….a common circuit) two relays.  They will fail.  One thing…as the system wears….mine needs to be held ON and then the relays engage and the motor ramps up.  Panic and shut off the switch…the motor is in a bind.  I push or pull if it gets that way.  After lubing…..and then changing our “technique”, NO issues….

I was just seating here going thru this groups section but have had no luck yet. I haven't tried the IRV2 page yet. I'll go there thank you.

7 hours ago, 06Windsor said:

IMG_5683.thumb.jpeg.f0cd75dab283b8626031c2e96b30ac0f.jpegCan anyone tell me how to go about changing the step well cover electric motor. I cant even get the step cover frame out because it hits the door frame first so there is still no access to the motor mounting hardware to change it. Anyone got any tips, has anyone had ground issues causing the motor to draw more amps tripping the resetting circuit breaker or is it generally a worn motor issue ? it works but as soon as you hit the switch it will move a 1/2 inch and trip the circuit breaker over and over.

I had to cut the frame of the cover on both sides of the center screw. And drill 2 rivets out. this allowed me to squeeze it enough to get through door frame. then welded it back together after putting in new motor and reinstalling. Stainless rivets. 

step  cover.jpeg

Just now, Jim Froelich said:

I had to cut the frame of the cover on both sides of the center screw. And drill 2 rivets out. this allowed me to squeeze it enough to get through door frame. then welded it back together after putting in new motor and reinstalling. Stainless rivets. 

step  cover.jpeg

I have a 2006 Camelot PDQ

• 2 weeks later...

"UPDATE" ok so this is how I managed to get my step well cover assemble out. After removing the carpeted step off the slides. I removed the 4 self tapping mounting screws that held in the assemble in and slide the assemble out to the point it hit the door frame. I then took a grinder with a cutoff wheel on it and sliced the center mounting bracket in half close to the center. After that I removed 4 rivets that hold the aluminum braces off of one side. By doing this it allowed me to be able to pinch the entire front part of the assemble together enough to slide out the door and up enough to clear the steps. I also had to remove the grab handle to be able to lift it high enough to get the assemble out. once the assemble was out the motor replacement was easy as melted butter. the motor number was a Dayton 3Lch7 that i purchased at Grainer which was the cheapest place to get it. never could find it available on ebay or amazon and it not be close to $100.  I also reinstalled the carpeted step and drilled a hole in the exact location as the screw bolt and welded a nut to the end of it so that I could put a socket on it in the future if needed to manually turn the bolt to push the step out if the motor ever goes out again. I went to hardware store and purchased a 1 1/2 " desk hole grommet to put in the hole I  drilled to class it up some. You can remove the center and slide the socket in and go to turning. Hope this helps others in the future cause there not much on this subject out there on the web.