No air pressure buildup after starting engine.

Robert U
Go to solution Solved by K9 Exec,

Hi Bob, I would bet a dollar to a donut your air governor gave up the ghost. The unloader fails so you either slowly get to 120 psi or you get nothing. You are at the later... They are cheap and relatively easy to replace, if you still need help- send a msg on here and I can guide you if you would like to replace it yourself. You could be back on road in 1 hr tops once you get it to replace.

Two other things I would do prior- disconnect the discharge line from the  compressor to check and make sure you are getting pressure. If you put your thumb on the end and can't hold it there because of the pressure- your compressor is good. I would also check the lines to the dryer, to make sure you don't have any leaks. When did you replace your dryer cartridge? I always recommend Sep/Oct of every year, depending on how much use you get. 

Best of luck sir!

Edited by K9 Exec
  • Like 3

Robert,

My was on the chassis, curb side right across from compressor.  I had the same problem, no air pressure. New governor took care of my problem. Took mine out, took to a local truck supply, they had one in stock, back on the road in a couple hours. 

I could have not done it without the kind advice from people on this site. I really appreciate the people on here and their great advise!!

Edited by Bill7773
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Nick,I found the air governor on the chassis rail. The line connections are tight and I can't break them loose. Did you spray yours with anything ? I may have to get a longer 1/2" wrench to break them loose easy to get to. Just almost too cold to work on it.

Bob U  2000 Dip

Howdy, I would it it will a squirt of PB blaster then give it a few mins. Should do the trick. 🙂

One other thing you can do- hit it with a little heat (not much) if you can. 

On 12/26/2023 at 11:51 AM, Robert U said:

I started the engine to  build up air pressure so i could retract the slide outs. I only got about 10psi air pressure. About an hour before

I had started the engine with no problems with air buildup. Never had any problems with the air system before.

Bob U

If you lost all your air in one hour, you have a serious leak somewhere!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Solution

Hi Bob, I believe you are talking about the air dryer. Haldex makes them and have a few different models, I know this is asking a lot but- if you have a picture, I can give you the part #. As a man of my word, I owe you a donut... 99 out of 100 times of not building air or 'rapid' air leak will be your governor. Your governor was nearing the end of its service life so consider that "preventative maintenance" and potentially a breakdown on the road, and of course it would happen to be at not so convenient time nor place.  🙂 

• 2 weeks later...

Similar air buildup issue on my 2006 Monaco Camelot 40PDQ with kind of a weird sideline. Started it up to let it build up the air. After 15 to 20 minutes the air gauges only reached about 70 lbs. All eight air bags looked to be filled about half way. Usually when it’s airing up I can hear the compressor running. This time I heard nothing. 
I shut it off. In about 10 minutes I came back and the front had risen to its normal height but the rear hadn’t raised at all. Since the engine wasn’t running the compressor wouldn’t have been running, so how could the front have came up?  At this point I started the engine again and within a few minutes the front dropped back down. I hadn’t touched the dump valve.  Do you think the governor could be my problem?  I do have a new one and plan on changing it just to be sure. 
I thought maybe someone else may have experienced a similar issue. 

Bob…