Trip tek 3100-x Trip installation manual

My front diagnostic plug in the drivers area doesn't work. 2003 Monaco Executive, I believe its because the wires from the plug are installed to the Trip tek. That does still work. I want to remove the wires and install them to a female black j1939 data link connector. Because I have a silver leaf that I would like to use.. The rear j1939 plugs works perfectly, but the front plug is a j1708 and does not work. I need a j1939. So taking the wires off the Trip tek I'll need to have some idea what is what. That is way I'm looking for an installation manual for the Trip tek 3100-x
Thanks for your help

There are a few things needed for success:

You need to research / know what protocol the engine / transmission uses.  J1708 is for older vehicles, J1939 is for newer.  Your 2003 is right at the common cutoff when things transitioned.  My 2002 Newmar uses both J1708 and J1939...

You need the correct connector to connect to.  Like Michael mentions, are you sure you aren't connecting to the ABS port?

Once you figure out the right connection, you then need the right connector for that connection point.

You need the right software to talk to the protocol.  If you are using Silverleaf, then ensure it's the right protocol and all settings are set for that protocol.

If the Trip Tek computer has a "termination resistor", then you can't have another termination resistor device on the same side of the network.  Only two for the whole CAN bus are used.  Sometimes the extra can be physically removed, other times there is a Jumper cable to disable.

• Like 1

Do a good search of this forum.  I recall a discussion a while back of how to re-wire the plugs... it was related to the Bluefire system but that does not really matter but may help you locate the thread that had instructions on how someone else had done this.  My fairly good memory does not remember anything to do with the triptek... it had to do with the wires from the old J1708 and adding a couple to it from the transmission harness to create the J1939 plug... (I think).  Let me know if you can't find it and I'll search for it.

Edited by Just Jim
  • Like 1