Dealer's way of reversing electric step operation took us weeks to fix

Hello Everyone

We purchased our 2008 Camelot 36' about a month ago from a dealer in Manteca, CA. It was traded in and the steps were not working. Dealer promised they will install a new Kwikee series 28 electric step prior to delivery to us. The new steps were extracting/retracting correctly during PDI, but later we've noticed couple issues: 

• Step did not remain in extended position when the step switch is on and the entrance door is closed, but it does remain in the retracted position (opposite of what the owners manual says)
  • Step light was reversed as well. The light is off when the step is extended, and the light is on when the step is retracted.

After some troubleshooting, we found out that the original magnetic switch was normally closed (NC) type, and the dealer did not replace it with the correct Kwikee normally open (NO) type switch. I've purchased an installed an NO switch from Kwikee, but now the step operations was reversed. After digging a bit further, I've realized the dealer simply reversed the motor wiring instead of doing the right thing and replacing the magnet switch with the correct kind.

I am happy to report that our electric steps are finally working correctly after replacing the magnetic switch and putting the motor wiring back to the correct way. Morale of the story is that some dealers/mechanics just choose the cheap/fast way to solve problems vs doing the right thing. 

Ali

steps.jpg

Edited by Ali-026

• Ali-026 changed the title to Dealer's way of reversing electric step operation took us weeks to fix

You are correct with your solution. We hD to replace our steps as well and found the same issue i.e. that we had ‘suicide steps. The steps would extend with the door closed and retract with the door open. 
I called Lippert and they explained that the magnetic switch had to be replaced, as you mentioned. The new switch was provided in the kit and was easy to install. 
The dealership will probably listen and just take no action, if you were to complain. However, they caused hardship and did damage to the harness from the controller of the steps and any future damage resulting in wire corrosion due to their action and your subsequent correction. 

1 hour ago, Ali-026 said:

Hello Everyone

We purchased our 2008 Camelot 36' about a month ago from a dealer in Manteca, CA. It was traded in and the steps were not working. Dealer promised they will install a new Kwikee series 28 electric step prior to delivery to us. The new steps were extracting/retracting correctly during PDI, but later we've noticed couple issues: 

• Step did not remain in extended position when the step switch is on and the entrance door is closed, but it does remain in the retracted position (opposite of what the owners manual says)
  • Step light was reversed as well. The light is off when the step is extended, and the light is on when the step is retracted.

After some troubleshooting, we found out that the original magnetic switch was normally closed (NC) type, and the dealer did not replace it with the correct Kwikee normally open (NO) type switch. I've purchased an installed an NO switch from Kwikee, but now the step operations was reversed. After digging a bit further, I've realized the dealer simply reversed the motor wiring instead of doing the right thing and replacing the magnet switch with the correct kind.

I am happy to report that our electric steps are finally working correctly after replacing the magnetic switch and putting the motor wiring back to the correct way. Morale of the story is that some dealers/mechanics just choose the cheap/fast way to solve problems vs doing the right thing. 

Ali

steps.jpg

Fascinating. We have a 2009 Camelot and the steps are a Lippert (CoachStep) type.  Looks like yours, but are different in the motor and mounts. If I understand, now the steps will remain extended as long as the ignition switch is OFF.  Step switch then cycles the steps every time the door is opened or closed.

My light, new, I think, never worked and it was just “one of those things” that we didn’t find objectionable. The only other word of advice, from members over the years, when step motors are replaced, on the Coach Step, the dealers and members usually put dielectric grease (bulb grease) on the terminals and then seal the end of the terminals, where the wires go in, with RTV Windshield repair silicone.  I had phantom “EXTENDED” lights and they were prevalent when youndrove in the rain…and then went away when they dried out.

Good Deal. My are learning.

Thank you Martin, Tom. We have been using the steps since we have corrected the issue and its been working great. Good tip on applying dielectric grease on the terminals and sealing them, which I did couple days ago. We are enjoying our motorhome so far, but finding other issues here and there. I will post another thread regarding the "radiator leak" issue I am trying to figure out.