Emergency Brake Actuator

Go to solution Solved by Craggar,

When I apply the emergency brake (pulling the handle up) I can hear a air leak.  If I wiggle the handle it seems to stop although the air gauge goes down to 0 PSI in a few hours.  I just rebuilt the front and rear six packs (what a PITA).  I had a couple leaking so I did them all.  Thank you "Ivan" for the tool to removing the nut on the air valve.  So, my question before I get into it is, is the brake actuator (not sure of the correct nomenclator) rebuildable (ie replace o rings) assuming there are o rings or do I just replace the actuator?  Either way if it is rebuildable what size are the o rings and how many?  If not rebuildable, what is the part number for the valve?  It's a HWH system on a 04 Camelot, air leveling.  TIA.

Don Genesse

• Solution
Posted (edited)

They're pretty cheap to buy so I would just replace with a new one.  I don't know the part # for the one you have but I would guess it would be a common one at a truck supply place.

Edited by Craggar

Craig, thanks for the feedback. Hopefully when I get it out there will be a p/n on it or a manufacturer name on it. 
Don Genesse

On 3/6/2024 at 5:40 PM, NAMVET77 said:

When I apply the emergency brake (pulling the handle up) I can hear a air leak.  If I wiggle the handle it seems to stop although the air gauge goes down to 0 PSI in a few hours.  I just rebuilt the front and rear six packs (what a PITA).  I had a couple leaking so I did them all.  Thank you "Ivan" for the tool to removing the nut on the air valve.  So, my question before I get into it is, is the brake actuator (not sure of the correct nomenclator) rebuildable (ie replace o rings) assuming there are o rings or do I just replace the actuator?  Either way if it is rebuildable what size are the o rings and how many?  If not rebuildable, what is the part number for the valve?  It's a HWH system on a 04 Camelot, air leveling.  TIA.

Don Genesse

Forget a part number. Remove the old one and carry it into any semi truck parts house and match it up with what they have. Those valves are not vehicle specific.

Thanks. I went to the local Peterbuilt parts store and they didn’t have it in stock but could order it and have it in 5 days for $150!!!  On line it was $45 to $100. Went to NAPA and they will have it here Tuesday for $55. The part number they used was KN20031.  It will be installed Tuesday then I get to air check the whole system. Thanks everyone. 
Don Genesse 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Changing the air brake actuator fixed that leak but still have other leaks I’m working on. Thanks everyone for your help. 
Don Genesse 

• Like 1