Generator replacement belt 7.5kw

jacwjames

I believe my replacement belt number is 0511-0235, I am going to replace it but having trouble finding.  Cummins websit does show but can't find it on Amazon or Ebay or even in general search.   I'll call the Cummins tomorrow to see if they have it in stock.

Has anyone crossed this belt, if so what number did you use. 

So I called the Cummins parts line and confirmed they  had on in stock at the Knoxville location, went and got it.   ~$18.  

I did spend more time trying to cross, no luck.  There are no makings on the  new belt to cross.  I guess the only option would be to take one in and have it measured. 

So I got the belt changed, not a big deal since my generator is on a slide and I can get to it pretty easy, had to take the top and rear panel off to be able to remove the pulley to change the belt.  A couple hours and I was done.  The old belt was still in decent shape, will keep it for a spare.  It did have some cracking in the cogged rubber portion but the rest looked pretty good. 

This AM I decided to clean the spark arrestor on the generator.  11/16" socket and a long extension.  When I removed the plug a decent amount of soot dropped out  but when I started the generator a bunch more blew out, made a pretty big mess on my garage floor but used a blower to send it out the large door.  It had been a while since the last time I did that so I need to make sure to do it more often.

• Like 2

Thanks for the update Jim.  Changing the belt on my 8KW is on my to do list.   Fortunately I have a slide out too and based on your experience I am counting on it not be too laborious.  With regards to the spark arrestor, I remove it every oil change.  Easy to do and as you found out it can collect a lot of soot.  Also, important to turn on generator to blow out any excess before reinstalling.

Edited by Bill R

After I removed the plug I started the generator and then ran both AC's and another load to get about 40 amps, let it run for 40 minutes. 

I did an oil change and belt, checked the air filter and it was OK so I should be good to go. 

• Like 1

I just changed the oil, oil filter, coolant, air filter, and both fuel filters. For some reason my generator has a Racor fuel filter on the back of the generator too. Its the kind with the plastic bowl for trapping water so I'm assuming one of the two POs had an issue with fuel contamination.  I need to clean the spark arrestor too, thanks for reminding me. I ordered a belt so at least I have one with me if mine breaks.