Living room slide out maintenance

I have had to replace the gear shear pin several times on our 2000 Diplomat in last 12 years. This time, I would like to pull the gear housing and thoroughly clean the shaft the gear mounts to. Has anyone removed the rack and pinion gear box? With the slide in does the slide need to be supported if the gear box is removed? Any ideas would be appreciated.

Had to replace motor and gear box.  With slide in you don't need any support.  The gearbox itself is a sealed unit, but it wouldn't hurt to open it up and check everything. 

I use a silicone spray on my gears and track, the silicone won't gather dirt as easy.  Check to make sure the slide isn't hitting or dragging.  Can't remember if there are pillow block type bearings or not, if there are I'd lube them also and any other moving parts. 

This gear box is not on the motor, it is the rack and pinion gear. There are two racks powered by the motor through long shafts. The gear is in an open box set up against the rack and has a roller on either side of it, all mounted on a short shaft connected to long shaft from the motor.

After replacing the shear pin about three times, I switched to a Grade 5 bolt, know ing that I may be running the risk of damaging the motor. Nothing bad has happened in the past ten or more years. Make sure that both the front and rear edges of the slide touch at the exact same time when closing the room. This makes sure the room is aligned square to the motorhome wall. I think the  shear pin may be too soft for the weight/force of the room. Just my thoughts and my experience with m my 2000 Diplomat.