Cat C9 dipstick tube melted?

I have a 2006 Beaver with the C9 Cat engine that the dipstick tube seems have melted. After a trip From Las Vegas to Tucson Az in 114 + degrees I hade a hard time getting the dipstick out to check the oil.  After that, I couldn't re-insert it into the dipstick tube. After some research I found that it is not uncommon for the dipstick tube to melt causing this.  I want to replace the tube but it seems that there are different lengths  that were used on these engines, depending on who made the coach. Any Ideas on how I make sure I get the correct one.  Has anyone else had the same problem with their Cat motors?

Thanks for any help

Gary

Ensure you are at the full mark using your old dipstick.  Then whatever housing / dipstick you replace it with, that one (once calibrated) should also show full.

Check it with engine warm, and stopped for many minutes to ensure all oil has expanded, circulated and stabilized.  Fill to the full line using proper oil for the motor.

Measure the old dipstick tube with a tape measure and note any bends to try to get close.  If it's easy to remove, take it out and get diameter at engine end to ensure you get right diameter as well.  Take a photo for bends next to tape measure.  I would powerwash the motor and degrease before removing anything to help ensure no dirt enters the motor when the tube is removed.

After you get the new one installed, check level.  Calibrate (which usually means shortening the stick) until it shows full at similar temp / time off.

Edited by DavidL

Thank you David L for the response. Your advice sounds spot on as far as recalibrating a new dipstick and dipstick tube if I can’t find the exact length replacement tube. My first plan would be to get the old one out and hopefully it will have a part # on it so I can order a new OEM replacement from a Cat dealer. Has anyone here actually removed a dipstick tube from a C9 motor? Is it a press fit into the engine block and held in with some type of retaining clamp/clip, or perhaps it has threads a simply unscrews?  Anyone know?

I know I’m late to the thread as I have been off for a few days. I had the same issue (Cummins engine though). After some research I found out that Monaco supplied all engine oil dipsticks and all engines, regardless of engine make (at least 2005 chassis model year), were ordered without the dipstick and then installed on the line. I found a part number on mine that was originally made by a company that is now out of business (Orscheln) . However, I found a company that custom makes them and has a build spec within their system if you have a part number as they have all the Orscheln items.
Here is the info for the company that made mine (exact replacement) and reasonably priced:

The Parts House Inc

343 S. Kellogg Street Galesburg, IL 61401

(309) 343-4046

BTW…I initially contact REV that stated item was obsolete with no leads on a replacement

Edited by DZZippy
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, DZZippy said:

I know I’m late to the thread as I have been off for a few days. I had the same issue (Cummins engine though). After some research I found out that Monaco supplied all engine oil dipsticks and all engines, regardless of engine make (at least 2005 chassis model year), were ordered without the dipstick and then installed on the line. I found a part number on mine that was originally made by a company that is now out of business (Orscheln) . However, I found a company that custom makes them and has a build spec within their system if you have a part number as they have all the Orscheln items.
Here is the info for the company that made mine (exact replacement) and reasonably priced:

The Parts House Inc

343 S. Kellogg Street Galesburg, IL 61401

(309) 343-4046

BTW…I initially contact REV that stated item was obsolete with no leads on a replacement

Thank you - I'll add this to the next parts list update.

Thanks to Frank and DZZippy for your response.  I am not at my RV now, it is in storage since last fall, so will see if I can find a part # on the dipstick that I can't get back in when I again have access to it.  I am thinking that the surest way to get a good fix is to somhow take the old one off and have it in hand when looking for a fix or replacement.  Unless I can get to it from underneath the coach I will most likely have to take enough of the hardware off that is in the way to get to it from the back of the coach.  Thanks for your input and resource information...... it should help. I am currently in Mexico without the coach, so will have to wait until sometime this summer get this done.