Tire Replacement Discussion

Go to solution Solved by Scotty Hutto,

• Tom Cherry changed the title to Tire Replacement Discussion

My 06 HR Scepter 42 came with 295/80R-22.5 Goodyear G70 tires.  Due to the weight on my front axle I have replaced the steer and tag axle tires with 315/80R-22.5 Michelins (which Acuride Wheels says are acceptable for use on my rims and were $50 cheaper apiece).  The reason for doing the tag as well is to have a spare for the steer axle if an emergency arises and no 315 is a available.  That being said, the most common and least expensive tire replacement is the class 8 trucking industry standard 11R-22.5, which is the SAE equivalent of the 295/80R-22.5 (a P-Metric size listing).  The tire diameter is the same for each.  So, my current drive axle tires are 11R-22.5 Dunlop all position tires.  They have not affected my speedometer accuracy, which 295/75-22.5s will likely do in your application due to different tire diameters.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, bluetoad7 said:

My 06 HR Scepter 42 came with 295/80R-22.5 Goodyear G70 tires.  Due to the weight on my front axle I have replaced the steer and tag axle tires with 315/80R-22.5 Michelins (which Acuride Wheels says are acceptable for use on my rims and were $50 cheaper apiece).  The reason for doing the tag as well is to have a spare for the steer axle if an emergency arises and no 315 is a available.  That being said, the most common and least expensive tire replacement is the class 8 trucking industry standard 11R-22.5, which is the SAE equivalent of the 295/80R-22.5 (a P-Metric size listing).  The tire diameter is the same for each.  So, my current drive axle tires are 11R-22.5 Dunlop all position tires.  They have not affected my speedometer accuracy, which 295/75-22.5s will likely do in your application due to different tire diameters.  

Great post Ron. Spot on!!

• Like 1

I run 6 11R22.5 on the rear and 315s on the front of my 08 Navigator. If I can’t get a 315 while on the road I’ll use about any big tire if necessary… 295, 12R22.5 or even an 11R aired to its max.