Slight Rotational Movement in Drag Link. Is this OK?

Go to solution Solved by Rodger,

Recently when I was under the front end of the coach, I grab the drag link to move my position, and noticed that it had a slight rotational movement between the two ball joints.  It was not much, maybe 10 degrees.  I was thinking this would be normal.  However, I am far from experienced in this area, so I figured it was a simple question for this forum.   BTW, there was absolutely NO vertical or lateral movement in the drag link.  It was solid.

Edited by Bill R

• Solution

Yes, the ball joints must allow relative rotation as the pittman arm and knuckle rotate within their own planes.

I guess if the link is very easily turned then the ball joints could be nearing the end of their life and could start getting slack soon enough. Just a guess though, would have to know how easily it turned some time ago and if more easily turned now. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes, they will rotate a surprising amount.  The wear that matters shows up in the steering wheel free play, if the steering play is too much, then a helper to wiggle the steering wheel and crawling under to inspect the various joints will show where the movement is, or sometimes you can grab the steering shaft where it enters the gear and wiggle from underneath, but it's harder to be still enough to see the movement when you're the one doing the wiggling.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Benjamin said:

Yes, they will rotate a surprising amount.  The wear that matters shows up in the steering wheel free play, if the steering play is too much, then a helper to wiggle the steering wheel and crawling under to inspect the various joints will show where the movement is, or sometimes you can grab the steering shaft where it enters the gear and wiggle from underneath, but it's harder to be still enough to see the movement when you're the one doing the wiggling.

It's messy, but I like to grab the joint in question when testing.  You can feel a slight relative motion before you can see it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dl_racing427 said:

It's messy, but I like to grab the joint in question when testing.  You can feel a slight relative motion before you can see it.

AMEN!!

• Thanks 1

Thank you all!!  One less item to have to be concerned with.  Like I said, it is solid with respect to all movement except for the slight rotation.  No wiggle though.

• Like 1