Entry steps replacements

Our 09 Dynasty is in the shop to get the steps repaired.  This is the second time.  The steps will not go in all the way.  They seem to stutter and stop with about 3 or 4 inches short of closing.  Fixed once and then failed again within about a dozen times using them.  Repair shop says the plates, gears and bolt holes are pretty worn out.  And some of the parts are no longer available.  May need to replace the whole thing before long, there is very little fixing left to be done with what's left of the gears and plates.  Anyone found a way to replace the kwikee/lippert steps?  Or can the parts be machined to create new plates.  The motor is still available I'm sure, and the gears as well.  It's the rest of the hardware I'm not sure about.  I have not tried the salvage yards yet.  Thanks in advance.

Woody Miller

09 Dynasty Regal IV

I have found that when the steps do not retract all the way that the triple glides that are like cabinet hardware become gunked from incorrect lubricants and a mixture of dust that can cause them to freeze up. Spray the the runner glides with B-12 Chemtool (carburetor cleaner). It contains Acetone so don't spray it on any painted areas as it will melt the paint. Move the slides that you can by hand and wipe up the mess with paper towels. Repeat the process until the slide are clean. Get into the lower as well as the upper part of the slides. They have small ball bearings. Make sure to try the steps with closing the door and then opening it. When you are finished use a dry graphite spray for a lubricant. PS use the straw tips on the spray cans to get exactly where you need to. Hope that works for you.

Several years ago my kwikee steps jammed out just before we were to leave on a trip. Doing a web search I found this is a common problem that most have fixed with a new Taurus motor, which I did. I didn't think it fit great but I did get us on the road. Worked fine for a while, until it didn't. Fortunately I still had the original motor and found a blog posting by Chris Bryant. Here is the address, but at this time the link is broken, but credit where credit is due:

http://rx4rv.com/kwikee-repair-part-2/ broken blog

If your Kwikee steps simply get jammed, and you are getting power to them (you can hear the box click when you open or close the door, and the under step light is going on and off), quite often it is just these small plastic parts that are bad- not the whole motor. The symptoms of failure for these parts are that the step will get stuck in the extended or retracted position, yet the step is still getting power

Dorman 74410 Window regulator gear plugs, available at most parts stores or Amazon for less than $10.00.

Basically take the motor apart, replace these parts, put it back together. As the plugs become obround in use they create a bind.

Also check out this post: https://safaritoonces.org/safari-toonces-the-beginning/site-overview/exterior/kwikee-steps-2/

I've also seen the rivets replaced with nylon bushings and new rivets.

Thanks.  I'll check out all of the fixes.  I know the glides get really gummed up.  I'm going to have a machinist friend take a look at things when we get the coach back from the shop.  Everything covered by warranty at the moment, but that won't last much longer.  I'm glad we where not on the road when the "fix" failed.  After a quick look at the motor and gear assembly before going to the shop, it seemed to me that some improvements could be made to it.  Thanks again, great group.

Woody Miller

09 Dynasty Regal IV