Cummins in Denver

Just completed a 8000 miles journey that started rough. Left NC and fueled up in Waynesville NC Flying J. By end of ramp trouble started. Seemed better except under heavy load by CO. Headed to Estes Park and disaster struck. Had to be towed to Denver Cummings . Import Towing and Recovery did great job. Later about Good Sam . Cummins had 50 amp hookup and got right to it next morning. No codes showing on dash but his reader showed low pressure from pump. Turned out piece of plastic wedged between primary and secondary filters. Put on dyno and HP and torque numbers well above average for ISL. Long story short he could have easily replaced expensive pump or other items but didn't. Questioned if it was in fuel or had been there , said hard call. Flying J offered help if there problem. After way it ran after service think it had been there and just then reared its ugly head. Something to keep in mind. RV rate was 230. hour. When paying service manager said giving truck rate being you sat under shade tree and never bugged us .

Thanks for posting this story-glad to hear all went well for you. Im new to these DP and read as much information as I can to get up to speed and maybe prevent a problem before it happens. I use opti-lube xld in our fuel and carry both fuel filters just for this problem. Who knew a piece of plastic would be the gremlin, but know i have that to think about if i have a power loss /fuel problem.

Just changed my fuel filters Thursday. The primary had about 6 large black pieces of something trapped at the top of the filter. I assume smaller pieces were caught inside the filter. The secondary filter looked good and the diesel was clean when I poured it out. Maybe that black stuff is crap created by the low sulfur fuel we get these days. Don't know. I always carry a double set of fuel filters, one gallon of diesel, and a large strap wrench just in case we have a problem.

I had a similar experience unfortunately I  did replace accumulator etc. spent close to 3k and 2 years . Always ran great after filter changes for a while then warning lights and no power. Heard from a Monaco ex tech they had some trouble with the primary filter and suggested to by pass it. Well when I took the fitting off the inlet side I saw a pile of loose rust specs started picking them out and found a small piece of solder flat and about 1/4" round blocking the inlet hole. That when pressure was released when changing the filters would lay down then when it felt like it would bounce up and block off the fuel mostly let enough get by to idle and with extremely little throttle could get up to about 45mph on a flat road. Anyway all cleaned out still using both filters and running like a top.

Bob I saw that once on my primary filter looked like licorice when I skipped a filter change from not using the coach and thought it would be OK (wrong) I assumed it was algae but really don't know maybe someone will tell us. But I do know now what they mean by a plugged filter.     

19 hours ago, miacasa_2000 said:

I had a similar experience unfortunately I  did replace accumulator etc. spent close to 3k and 2 years . Always ran great after filter changes for a while then warning lights and no power. Heard from a Monaco ex tech they had some trouble with the primary filter and suggested to by pass it. Well when I took the fitting off the inlet side I saw a pile of loose rust specs started picking them out and found a small piece of solder flat and about 1/4" round blocking the inlet hole. That when pressure was released when changing the filters would lay down then when it felt like it would bounce up and block off the fuel mostly let enough get by to idle and with extremely little throttle could get up to about 45mph on a flat road. Anyway all cleaned out still using both filters and running like a top.

Bob I saw that once on my primary filter looked like licorice when I skipped a filter change from not using the coach and thought it would be OK (wrong) I assumed it was algae but really don't know maybe someone will tell us. But I do know now what they mean by a plugged filter.     

Interesting story Roy. Will keep that in mind if we run into a starved fuel situation. You could buy a lot of filters for $3000. Wonder where that piece of solder came from. It must have been in the line from the factory.