Should I worry about freezing the fridge water line?

amphi_sc

I'm not concerned about the rest of the wet bays and water lines, but as I may see some low twenties or teens for several days before getting to the citrus tree climate, I wonder about that tiny water line.   It exits the basement and follows the main electrical bundle of wires underneath the slide hanging out there in the clear cold air with the elec whip until it re-enters the slide at the outside of the slide wall.  We will likely have the slides out as we are parked for a couple weeks in the colder clim. I'm not sure it would drain by gravity feed if I just turn the water manifold valves off and opened the manifold drain to drain just that line. It looks to be fed from the wet bay's cold water faucet line which I could leave off if I was sure it drained dry.  Obviously as we are staying in the coach using the other water lines (from the tank as needed) I am not winterizing with antifreeze.  Is that exposed tiny plastic fridge water line able to handle expanding freeze/thaw cycles without problems?  Or should I try blowing air backwards thru the wet bay cold water faucet while DW continually draws fridge water until that spits air?  Or separate the line at the rear of the fridge and slip a vinyl extension over it so I can blow air backwards back thru to the manifold drain. Hummmm.... I think water would settle in the gently rolling contours of the horizontal part under the slide. Probably over thinking this.

I've not had an issue with the ice maker line running through the basement but I have had it freeze (along with the water valve) on the back of the Norcold refrigerator.  This happened when I forgot to blow the line.   In my case the water line came from the water filter under the kitchen sink.  I would take this end loose and then disconnect at water valve and then blow out the line.  I would disconnect the line from the water valve to the refrigerator and let the water from the refrigerator gravity drain out. 

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, amphi_sc said:

I'm not concerned about the rest of the wet bays and water lines, but as I may see some low twenties or teens for several days before getting to the citrus tree climate, I wonder about that tiny water line.   It exits the basement and follows the main electrical bundle of wires underneath the slide hanging out there in the clear cold air with the elec whip until it re-enters the slide at the outside of the slide wall.  We will likely have the slides out as we are parked for a couple weeks in the colder clim. I'm not sure it would drain by gravity feed if I just turn the water manifold valves off and opened the manifold drain to drain just that line. It looks to be fed from the wet bay's cold water faucet line which I could leave off if I was sure it drained dry.  Obviously as we are staying in the coach using the other water lines (from the tank as needed) I am not winterizing with antifreeze.  Is that exposed tiny plastic fridge water line able to handle expanding freeze/thaw cycles without problems?  Or should I try blowing air backwards thru the wet bay cold water faucet while DW continually draws fridge water until that spits air?  Or separate the line at the rear of the fridge and slip a vinyl extension over it so I can blow air backwards back thru to the manifold drain. Hummmm.... I think water would settle in the gently rolling contours of the horizontal part under the slide. Probably over thinking this.

Since you are living in the coach I would think just keeping the ice bin empty so the ice maker continues to fill the tray with water would keep the line from freezing. That assume the temps are only going down into the twenties. If the temps go in the low teens or below zero then you will need to winterize the line and keep a faucet open in the coach to keep other lines from freezing.