Irritating rattle as I drive

My coach frequently has an irritating rattle as I drive.  It sounds like it is coming from above and behind my left shoulder. Recently I put a ladder up against the driver’s side retracted slide out and banged on things from the outside.  The driver’s side awning seems secure, but when I banged on the housing for the slide out cover it sounded like the cover retracting spring was laying on the aluminum housing and rattling around.  The spring is not broken, as the slide out cover retracts OK when I retract the slide out.  Is there something that is supposed to go between the spring and housing (like a plastic tube) to prevent it rattling, or could the spring just not be wound tight enough?  I’d welcome any ideas.

Dave Jones

2005 HR Scepter

Dave, maybe Chris T will see this post and advise what might be going on if the noise is coming from the awning mechanism.  If not, you might contact Talin RV to get information.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/1/2020 at 5:55 PM, daveyjo said:

My coach frequently has an irritating rattle as I drive.  It sounds like it is coming from above and behind my left shoulder. Recently I put a ladder up against the driver’s side retracted slide out and banged on things from the outside.  The driver’s side awning seems secure, but when I banged on the housing for the slide out cover it sounded like the cover retracting spring was laying on the aluminum housing and rattling around.  The spring is not broken, as the slide out cover retracts OK when I retract the slide out.  Is there something that is supposed to go between the spring and housing (like a plastic tube) to prevent it rattling, or could the spring just not be wound tight enough?  I’d welcome any ideas.

Dave Jones

2005 HR Scepter

I recently bought an '09 Camelot with the same intermittent issues on both the left & right sides near the front of the coach as we are driving. I was washing the outside of the coach before our last trip when I I discovered that above the left front tire the exterior wall moved a little when I braced myself by pushing on it, I tightened the vertical mounting screw on the backside right above the tire. I didn't notice the intermittent rattle on our last trip. Now, the similar rattle on the right side still exists as I didn't find anything needing tightening on that side. The coach also has an irritating squeak coming from the left front slide by the galley sink amidships. With the slide retracted I can make the squeak happen by pushing on the countertop in front of the sink. An old friend had a saying......."Needs more thinking" so I am still working on these two issues.

I noticed a rattle a while ago that I didn’t think I noticed before.  It was intermittent and worse/louder on a bumpy road when going slow.  It sounded like it was behind the driver and low.  I thought maybe it was a loose shock because that was the type of sound it made.  I figured out it was the Mooryde slide assembly.  The rollers were bouncing in the track and making that sound.  Now that I know what it is I don’t worry about it.