Coach Service

Brett63

Does anyone know of a good coach service location around the Tampa, FL area. I need someplace that is good on electrical and knows the chassis multiplex system. My system is ok I think, but I have a bad ground or short or something going on and I can't find what it is. 

Yes..  USA Coach in Clearwater FLA..  excellent service for us over several years of maintenance.  08 Beaver Marquis .. These guys know all brands and are fairly priced.  7278120721    usaluxurycoach.com    good luck

Edited by RobsMarquis
  • Like 1

I wouldn't let anyone touch a chasiss mux system unless they know what they are doing. They screw something up and you are screwed.

There is no replacement parts for a chassis mux. They short it out or screw it up you might as well tow your coach to a vacant lot and leave it there until someone finds a solution. We have done work at our shop on the House mux system, but not the chassis mux. This is a system you do not want a tech who has no background with those systems messing with it. We just fixed a Dynasty house mux because some tech who thought he knew what he was doing screwed it up. My tech is pretty up to speed with the house mux but not the chassis mux. I wont allow my guys to touch a chassis mux because I do not want the liability.

If it was my coach I would take it to the M & M guys near Orlando. They have more experience with the chassis mux then any other repair place I know of in the country. Alliance ( Lazy Days ) only has one former Monaco tech left and I do not know if he has the chassis mux system experience. Brett Howard was the expert with the mux systems and he left Alliance a long time ago. USA Coach is a good repair facility but their background is with Prevosts. The Monaco chassis Mux is a one of a kind system and was only offered in 2 model years I believe 08/09 and only in the Dynasty and above.

Dave Pratt may have more input on this subject. He is a Mux guru, has all the prints and knows the system backwards and forwards. He is only one of a few who knows it. It would be a cold day in hell before I let loose a tech on my coach with a chassis mux and who had no background in them. It isn't like fixing an AC unit or some electronic / electrical issue. The chasiss mux is complicated and like I said there are no spare parts anywhere. When it goes your coach is done. I believe there are some work arounds but you dont even want to go there with them.  I am hoping Paul Whittle, our resident software / circuit board expert builds a replacement for this system. I put a bug in his ear when we were camping together a few weeks ago.

My best advice is to stay the hell out of any dealership or repair center that does not have experience with the mux system.

I forgot to mention Frank, one of our fearless moderators has a lot of background with the chassis mux system as well.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, throgmartin said:

I wouldn't let anyone touch a chasiss mux system unless they know what they are doing. They screw something up and you are screwed.

There is no replacement parts for a chassis mux. They short it out or screw it up you might as well tow your coach to a vacant lot and leave it there until someone finds a solution. We have done work at our shop on the House mux system, but not the chassis mux. This is a system you do not want a tech who has no background with those systems messing with it. We just fixed a Dynasty house mux because some tech who thought he knew what he was doing screwed it up. My tech is pretty up to speed with the house mux but not the chassis mux. I wont allow my guys to touch a chassis mux because I do not want the liability.

If it was my coach I would take it to the M & M guys near Orlando. They have more experience with the chassis mux then any other repair place I know of in the country. Alliance ( Lazy Days ) only has one former Monaco tech left and I do not know if he has the chassis mux system experience. Brett Howard was the expert with the mux systems and he left Alliance a long time ago. USA Coach is a good repair facility but their background is with Prevosts. The Monaco chassis Mux is a one of a kind system and was only offered in 2 model years I believe 08/09 and only in the Dynasty and above.

Dave Pratt may have more input on this subject. He is a Mux guru, has all the prints and knows the system backwards and forwards. He is only one of a few who knows it. It would be a cold day in hell before I let loose a tech on my coach with a chassis mux and who had no background in them. It isn't like fixing an AC unit or some electronic / electrical issue. The chasiss mux is complicated and like I said there are no spare parts anywhere. When it goes your coach is done. I believe there are some work arounds but you dont even want to go there with them.  I am hoping Paul Whittle, our resident software / circuit board expert builds a replacement for this system. I put a bug in his ear when we were camping together a few weeks ago.

My best advice is to stay the hell out of any dealership or repair center that does not have experience with the mux system.

I forgot to mention Frank, one of our fearless moderators has a lot of background with the chassis mux system as well.

Frank has been a HUGE help to me so far. We have fixed my VIP wheel switch pods and are working on a BB fix. He has been a Godsend. I do know that I talked to M&M last week and they said they are now pretty confident on the system. Didn't discuss a complete rebuild or anything like that.  They will NOT be in FL this year. 

There are couple of techs still at the REV location in Coburg, OR., that know the chassis mux.  They replaced a master and another switch and then reprogramed the new switches for me.  That has been a couple of years ago now and things are still working.  I can't remember the name of the tech (Adam comes to mind but not sure, but Kris Burns was my service rep) and REV won't let any of them talk to you on the phone anymore.  Not many around that can work on these systems.  It took us a good 6 months trying to find someone with the CADET software and laptop to do the programing.

I know many mention M&M, but during my search the last time I talked with them there was nothing they could do for me.  Most likely not enough systems still out there to make sense for a company to take on making replacement parts.

Worse part of my problem was the engine brake switch would not communicate with the ECM and the engine brake took on a life of its own, working when it wanted to, not when I wanted it to most of the time.  Shop after shop said it couldn't be fixed.  Well it can be fixed if someone knows what there are doing if the CCM is still working

Woody Miller

09 Dynasty Regal IV.  

I just talked with M&M 2 weeks ago and they said they knew how to work on the chassis MUX and could certainly work on them. So I suspect maybe they have done on those what they have done on many other systems, figured them out....Beats me.

I talked to (well emailed) a gentleman the other day that apparantly was a big player in the chassis MUX design and worked for both Monaco and then Country Coach and is now at, or has something to do with Premier RV out in Junction City, OR. His name is Brian VanDeWalker. Anyway I emailed him the other day just to ask if he knew the system, and knew of any places left that actually could still work on them. He promptly replied back and said " I am VERY familiar with that system. Give me a call  M-F at xxx number and I will gladly get a retainer and put you on my consulting list"......Really, you want to charge me to tell me if you know of anyone in the country that can work on these....LOL 

Maybe I look at this in the wrong light. I wasn't asking him to diagnose, or troubleshoot, or work on something. Simply asking if he knew of the system and if there was still anyone or shops he knew of that could work on them....lol

Oh well

It's been well over a year since I talked with M&M, maybe a couple years.  I'm hoping mine continues trouble free.  Good to know there are some still working on these systems.  There was a shop in southern CA trying to rework a system and had been attempting some sort of rewire and had already put about 600 hours on it and it still wasn't finished.  Never heard anything more, I'm guessing the gave up or the customer ran out of money.

Woody Miller

09 Dynasty Regal IV (with the dreaded Kongsberg chassis mux)

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Wanted to chime in on this topic.  I have a 09' Beaver Marquis (since new) with the Kongsberg CCM Mux.  I've had one Eaton switch group go inop (Center dash - Docking lights, AquaHot Preheat, Engine Block heat) and was able to find a new replacement switch about 2 years ago.  Recently I had the lower Eaton switch module go out on the entry door panel (Porch Light, Handle Step light and Step).  This time, no Eaton switches found.  So, I wanted to offer this up to the group as a work around.  Sourced a 3 switch grouping from Amazon along with some strip LED's.  Traced all the wires that went to the porch light and handle step lights and spliced into them and ran new wiring to the devices and the switch group.  So, no more Kongsberg, just simple hard wiring. 

I've listed every function of the lower run box CCM and the middle box CCM in the first tray bay.  Both of these CCM's run alot of items of course.  But, with the list I went through and identified what is "driveable" critical and not.  For the driveable critical items, such as wipers, headlights, etc, I'm going to be proactive and go ahead and make the wiring harnesses and switches to have on the shelf if they go inop on a trip.  I'll splice into the item enough to get it going till I can get home and wrap up the wiring and new switches permanently.  For all the non-mission critical items and there are alot of those (bay lights, etc.) I can live without those until I get home and rewire them later.

On another subject, I would be interested in investing and/or learning more how to totally remove and install a new CCM Mux if anyone is thinking about that also.

We love our coach and could trade it in or even just junk it and buy a new one, but what a waste.  This coach is great and has all the features we need, it's just got this one weakness in the Kongsberg CCM.   If I can plan around that, and be proactive and ready for the next failure, I have no need for another coach. 

One last item I am working on currently - my VIP smart wheel cruise is acting up.  But, I just verified yesterday, it is the Clockspring.  By checking conductivity of the clockspring pigtail between the connector at the top of the wheel and where it comes out near the floor, I found the clockspring would break conductivity when the steering wheel was turned.  It's like the clockspring has a deadband at a certain spot when turning the wheel.  Got the clockspring ordered today. 

Thanks, Bob...

IMG_9754.jpg

IMG_9755.jpg

IMG_9677.jpg

IMG_9673.jpg

IMG_9671.jpg

IMG_96704.jpg