Bendix ABS faults

Greetings from snowy Washington State!  

Ever since we acquired our '09 HR Scepter almost 5 years ago, we've had the ATC and ABS lights come on....usually in tighter turns like a freeway cloverleaf, right turns more than left,  very occasionally randomly on a straightaway. They always stay on until shutdown and then reset. It's a Bendix ABS system and the SPN is 810 with an FMI of 7 which doesn't correspond to any of the faults listed in the manual . I've done the "count the flashes" exercise and got a "12-11" which is "Wheel Speed Sensors Reversed on Axle".  That makes sense but which axle?  My main question at this point is: Does anyone know where their ABS junction box is on their coach, how the wires are marked?  I know I can follow wires, but right now the coach is on gravel with snow. They have no idea where the EC-60 control box might be mounted and they said that input jacks are not marked!  Any thoughts ?  I know just enough to be dangerous!

Edited by Barryc737

My ABS control box is above the ceiling in main basement storage, in front of aquahot bay. Pain to get to it as the ceiling is one big piece. The connectors are color coded and I did find the pinout for mine in Bendix manual. Our coach is much older but there should be documentation for yours. Are you sure that there isn't a second code that would identify the wheel position?

20201117_174906.jpg

Thanks, Ivan! There were a couple of other inactive codes in the event history that may be related, but I just got off the phone with a Bendix Tech Team guy who said "you just gotta go through each input wheel by wheel to identify which is which."  They do have some PC based software they sell for a mere $400 that might give more info.  Unfortunately, you cannot clear the event history without the software or a remote diagnostics unit.  This means I have 12 years of inactive faults still in the memory.  I would love to be able to clear the memory and then take some sharp turns to get the main fault to address.  I should also do the blink test to ascertain the configuration on my coach. (eg how many sensors and how many modulators) as well as get the serial number of the unit to know which version of the EC-60 I have.  Araghhhhh.

I guess the newer version ECM is using a different logic if they say that you can't clear inactive codes, I can do that easily. I feel your pain. My last trouble was a broken wire to retard relay, found the break behind side dash cover where it goes down to FRB. It wasn't fun. Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Update on my detective work on this issue (blink code 12-11 which is "Left and Right WSS reversed on an axle"):  After a couple of calls to the Bendix Tech Team, I lucked out and got a nice fellow named Chad and I recognized him from some YouTube videos that Bendix put out several years ago.  He spent quite a bit of time going over options of what the issue could be.

1)  Some of the early EC-60 control units had some software glitches and were replaced under warranty.  (I have 127 occurrences of this fault in 12 years, but not covered) 

2)  In the tight turns that tend to give the fault, an inside wheel might become "unweighted" and fake out the ATC system which could cause an ABS issue. (least likely)

3) The issue might actually be that left and right sensors are reversed on an axle.

Chad explained that no diagnostic tool (RDU or ACom) is going to give me any more info than the blink code feature has already given me.  The best way to know if sensors are reversed is to go underneath and locate the connector from the wheel speed sensor wire where it plugs into the wiring harness somewhere along each axle. Then unplug one at a time and do the blink code test.  That fault will say which sensor is open/unplugged.  If you unplug the "left" and the fault comes up as "right", I'll know the WSS are actually reversed on that axle.  

Next time I'm not parked on gravel, mud or snow, I'll give it a try and keep you posted.  Still open to any and all input from the group!