electrical - engine dead `steps wont rettract

Denny Wagaman

key pad to the door would not work. no noise/response. did gain access through a window. unlocked door. turned key and nothing no dash lights etc. did the battery boost got the engine started. the steps wouldn't retract. took the MH to Les Schwabs had all the batteries checked. all good. battery posts clean too. steps would not retract. I had moved taken MH out for refueling the day before. I have 30 amp hook up in the heated to 60 degrees garage the day before. I don't know if I had turned off the charge on the magnum for whatever reason when I took it to be refueled the day before, I don't know if it was on or off today.  I never ever touch it but who knows. I did leave the bay lights on all night be being connected  to 30 amp in the garage it stay charged. 

Question? 1. what could cause the no starting issue? 

Question? 2. why is the step still not retracting? It has been working without fail until the engine no start problem arose. 

Denny Wagaman

2011 Camelot DFT 43

Thanks!

I have had some similar issues as this, but there are a lot of years in age between our coaches.  My issue was someone mistakenly flipping the battery cut off switch by the front door.  Also had issues with the solenoid that that switch controls.  Obviously, try the simple things first.

I would check you chassis batter disconnect switch.  I believe that the chassis battery provides power to the key pad and steps besides the ignition.

Back ~7 years ago I was getting ready to go on a trip and had started and stopped the engine multiple times over a week.  Tried to start and nothing at the dash.  First thing I did was cycle the disconnect, nothing.  Put a volt meter on it and it was not passing power.  Took the 2 leads off and bolted them together and all was good.  I bought a replacement and installed and that fixed the problem.  Also bought a spare since my house uses the same. 

Sounds like good suggestions so far.  Have you cut all 12v power (chassis and coach) for several minutes to recycle everything?  The step 'brain' may have gotten confused.

The plethora of electrical and mechanical gremlins that live in these things are the main reason I use only the dead-bolt on the entry door. That, and often leaving the bedroom window closed but unlatched (it's the highest one to reach from outside).