Replacing old tv antenna

2002 Monaco Knight - I want to remove the wing style tv antenna and replace it with a Wineguard Air 360+.  I need 12 volts for the Air 360.  There is a yellow wire attached to the old antenna but I cannot find it on my wiring diagram.  There are several yellow wires in a bundle that passes behind the overdash tv cabinet.  I would like to be able to switch the Air 360 on and off so it is not pulling power at all times.  There is a switch in passenger side cabinet over the dash that says something like tv signal amplifier.  Has anyone done this type of change and can help with the yellow wire?  Also, should I be able to pull the old tv coax cable out of the roof or is it going to be attached up in there.  Thanks for any responses and suggestions.

George B.

The "wing style" antenna has 12v running through the coax that's turned on with the amplifier switch.  There's an amplifier in the antenna.  Whether this is directly compatible with the Winegard Air 360+ I don't know. 

The yellow wire might be for an "antenna raised" sensor?  Does it go to the small module on the antenna shaft?

- bob

23 hours ago, cbr046 said:

The "wing style" antenna has 12v running through the coax that's turned on with the amplifier switch.  There's an amplifier in the antenna.  Whether this is directly compatible with the Winegard Air 360+ I don't know. 

The yellow wire might be for an "antenna raised" sensor?  Does it go to the small module on the antenna shaft?

- bob

I would agree with Bob.  There should be no need to run an additional wire.  I would caution on the 360 degree antenna.  While it is nice to not have to aim it, you will not get the level of reception that you get on the batwing with the extension for DTV.  The 360 should work for close stations.  

The King Jack head replacement ($40) is what I would buy. It’s less directional and while 3’ higher than the roof is not much, it helps the signal strength. The ACs will block the signal to a roof mounted antenna.

• Like 1

At our old house we cut the cord and relied on OTA for TV local stations.  Originally I had an RCA type antenna mounted on a pole on my deck, it did a decent job but I was always looking for something better. 

So ~10 years ago I did buy a King Jack thinking that if it worked I'd also replace the older Winegard Sensar with the Wingman booster on the motorhome.  Surprisingly it did not do any better then the RCA antenna.   I also tried it on the motorhome with no improvement.  

So if you are hoping to get a vast improvement in reception don't get your hopes up!!

• Like 1

I appreciate the opinions.  TV is not the main reason as I am hoping to improve the cellular and wifi signal when parked.  I hope to use this dome and not have to be raising and lowering an antenna everytime we stop.  If we pick up a tv schedule, that is an added benefit.

Where would the yellow wire route to if it is the antenna sensor?

5 minutes ago, GMBRetired said:

Where would the yellow wire route to if it is the antenna sensor?

The antenna sensor wire most likely comes down one of the A pillars by the windshield to the dash.  It could be in either the left or right.  You might want to keep some on the roof in case you reinstall the crank-up.

I did locate the yellow wire. I decided to remove the satellite dome and place the wineguard in the center of the roof instead of the tv antenna location.  Will look for the upgrade item for the batwing. 

Thanks to all of you who offered suggestions.