Bedroom Slide Not working Properly

I went to slide my bedroom slide in today, when I was heading out on a 4 week trip, and after about 12 inches I hear this clicking grinding noise and the slide stopped moving. After an hour or two of troubleshooting and brainstorming we discovered that the bar on top of the motor that moves the slide in had worn and the bar's gears would not stay in contact with the motor's rotating gear. It would slip out (the bar connected to the slide's gear would slip out of the motor's rotating gear. I was able to use a hammer to force the bar down in to contact enough with the motor's rotating gear to move the bedroom slide. It only needed to move about 3-4 inches and then it caught the rotating gear enough and worked properly again. I think the slide's movement is up/down a little as it moves in and out. This down movement with my hammer moved the bar connected to the slide enough down so that it contacted the motor's rotating gear enough to move the slide after about a 3-4 inch past the slip.

Picture one is the bar I am talking about. If you look at the silver color on the left side you can see the wear, on the metal (no longer black paint), allowing the bar to miss the motor's rotating gear enough to slip out of full contact.

The second video is the "slip" in action,

The third video is the work-a-round I used with my hammer. 

I hope this work-a-round idea helps other.

Does anyone know where I can order a new top bar that is not worn down like this one?

Show Wear.JPG

17 hours ago, Corkman said:

I went to slide my bedroom slide in today, when I was heading out on a 4 week trip, and after about 12 inches I hear this clicking grinding noise and the slide stopped moving. After an hour or two of troubleshooting and brainstorming we discovered that the bar on top of the motor that moves the slide in had worn and the bar's gears would not stay in contact with the motor's rotating gear. It would slip out (the bar connected to the slide's gear would slip out of the motor's rotating gear. I was able to use a hammer to force the bar down in to contact enough with the motor's rotating gear to move the bedroom slide. It only needed to move about 3-4 inches and then it caught the rotating gear enough and worked properly again. I think the slide's movement is up/down a little as it moves in and out. This down movement with my hammer moved the bar connected to the slide enough down so that it contacted the motor's rotating gear enough to move the slide after about a 3-4 inch past the slip.

Picture one is the bar I am talking about. If you look at the silver color on the left side you can see the wear, on the metal (no longer black paint), allowing the bar to miss the motor's rotating gear enough to slip out of full contact.

The second video is the "slip" in action,

The third video is the work-a-round I used with my hammer. 

I hope this work-a-round idea helps other.

Does anyone know where I can order a new top bar that is not worn down like this one?

Show Wear.JPG

Motor Stop video.MOV 12.75 MB · 8 downloads Jury Rig.MOV 7.33 MB · 8 downloads

I'm not sure if anyone saw this post, but I am looking for anyone that might know where I can get this replacement part. The lippert/powergear part number is 520971.

Does this slide have a wardrobe on it or a bed ?

You can contact Lippert directly and order the part. If they wont sell it directly to you then call my Director Amy at Talin RV and she will order it and have it drop shipped to you.  352-942-2653. You can also ask to speak with my Tech, Dustin. He is one of the best slide guys in the country.

• Like 2

Chris is right on point with his remark that Dustin is one of the best slide guys in the country.

This past March when at Talin RV for some awning work, Dustin found two hidden problems with my large drop-down floor level slide that had been plaguing me many many years. The slide now works correctly and fits snugly against the coach when closed.

He found elongated holes in the square drive shafts where the sheer pins go through and a partially busted spring pin in one of the drive cog wheels.

Yes, the bed is on the slide. I contacted Lippert and they are having one made, probably from Talin RV I suspect. It will take a couple weeks and probably be dropped shipped.

Thanks,