Does anyone know if you can do a manual forced regen on an 09 Sig 650 Cummins and if so how? I am getting a normal regen failure and now blowing black soot everywhere. I can't find any info at all on how to do a manual regen.

Yes, you can do a forced Regen but you need the Cumminns Insite software or other suitable software to override the engine ECM setting that has turned off Regen while the coach is traveling below about 30 mph.

If you are doing a forced Regen while parked, be sure to use auxiliary fans to keep the fiberglass next to the DPF cool.

The best way to do a DPF Regen is to drive at steady highway speed 60-65 with the Jake brake off.

Even though the DPF light is on, all this means is to tell the operator that the coach needs to be driven under condition to complete a Regen cycle.  Using the Jake brake, traveling below about 30 mph, or having a check engine light on will stop the Regen even though the DPF light is on.

3 minutes ago, Frank McElroy said:

Yes, you can do a forced Regen but you need the Cumminns Insite software or other suitable software to override the engine ECM setting that has turned off Regen while the coach is traveling below about 30 mph.

If you are doing a forced Regen while parked, be sure to use auxiliary fans to keep the fiberglass next to the DPF cool.

The best way to do a DPF Regen is to drive at steady highway speed 60-65 with the Jake brake off.

Even though the DPF light is on, all this means is to tell the operator that the coach needs to be driven under condition to complete a Regen cycle.  Using the Jake brake, traveling below about 30 mph, or having a check engine light on will stop the Regen even though the DPF light is on.

We are headed to Cummins in this evening. We are not able to go into a passive regen for some reason while driving. Becasue of that and all of the other warning lights, we are going to Cummins.

Blowing black smoke likely also means that you have another issue going on.  Are you seeing a check engine light?  Black smoke could be a bad fuel injector.  Has anyone done a cylinder power performance test?  A dirty or sticking EGR system or carbon fowled sensor can also generate lots of black smoke.  The DPF is supposed to filter out black soot to the point we're a stop engine light will come on.

1 hour ago, Frank McElroy said:

Blowing black smoke likely also means that you have another issue going on.  Are you seeing a check engine light?  Black smoke could be a bad fuel injector.  Has anyone done a cylinder power performance test?  A dirty or sticking EGR system or carbon fowled sensor can also generate lots of black smoke.  The DPF is supposed to filter out black soot to the point we're a stop engine light will come on.

I have a solid DPF light. When I look that up and the code it says that the light is solid when a passive regen is called for and unable to perform. This will also show excessive black soot (which I have on the 225 mile leg we just completed.) As we have talked about, I also have a flashing ATC, Check engine and check trans light. The check engine could be from the inability to regen, or it could be something else. I have two codes dealing with DPF, two dealing with lack of communication to the ECM and one dealing with the cruise control. This doesn't work and neither does the engine brake. The brake isn't working because the ATC light is on. As soon as it goes off I have engine braking. 

With all of that said, I have an apt with Cummins in the AM to try and sort it all out. Will post results for everything when gained. 

I have an '09 Beaver Marquis with a Cat C15.  It did not come with a manual regen option.  It also does not use DFT, last year before DFT.

While I was a at a CAT dealer for an exhaust issue, I had them install a manual regen option (switch).

Just wanted to pass this information along that this is possible for a manual regen to be added for a CAT.  I would think it would be possible for a Cummins.

Thx, Bob...

Yes, it is also possible for the Cummins to add an aux switch and reprogram the engine ECM for a stationary regen but I highly recommend using aux floor fans to cool the exterior fiberglass.

From a practical perspective, a forced Regen is only needed when the coach goes through a number of incomplete regens because the coach wasn't driven at highway speed to complete a Regen cycle.  The other consideration is that a stationary Regen is not nearly as effective as a Regen with the coach operating at highway speed.

On a Cummins engine with good fuel injectors and clean EGR under normal operation will go about 100 hours or about 6,000 miles between Regen cycles.  This 100 hour interval is programed into the ECM even if DPF pressures don't require a Regen.  If you start seeing regens every few thousand miles, you are likely generating too much soot and the problem needs to be fixed.