new awning will not retract

I have a 2005 Monaco Diplomat and had a new awning installed about a year ago.  Have not use the awning since new install and it will not retract and it is a Carefree don't know the model but it is he main awning, it will retract about  half a turn but stops and will not move but it will go back to staring point. It sounds like the battery is very weak but I know the battery is charged up as it stays pugged  in. I talked to the installer RV repair and sales the guy give me 0 information on the way to trouble it. I see a rip off, charging $200.00 per hour, they are the only shop in town that I would let them work on it, so you can see  what to do now?

sounds like our awning, if they used existing wiring from old awning that may be the issue. Need to check voltage at the motor while trying to retract. We are losing about a volt between controller relay and the motor. Currently using the wooden curtain pull rod and pull down on the arm at the track on the coach to help it retract. Will run new wires from the controller relay to the motor when we return to FL for the season

Gary on our 07 Knight the relay/ controller is located behind the switch which is just inside the front door in the passenger front armrest. Its a small square pyramid shaped box the size of a normal bosch relay. Its not mounted, just floating in there with a massive harness for all the other switches located there

Do you have a wire connector mounted on the outside of the coach that provides power to the awning?  If so this may be your problem.

My awning had a bayonet twist lock type wiring connector, it had very small contacts that would get corroded.  When that happened the awning would not work.  I could simply take the connector apart and put it back together and it would work (for a while). 

The last time I had a problem with it was in the middle of the night during a thunder storm, we had let the awning open just a little but it started catching the gusts of wind and it wouldn't work so I had to crawl up on the roof, take the connector apart and put it back together to get the awning in.

First thing I did was call Care Free of Colorado and they told me the connector was obsolete.  I asked what they did now and they said they just drill a hole in the side of the coach to run the wire through and then just seal it. 

Well, I got creative, took the connector out and drilled through the center of both pieces, large enough for the wire to go through.  I then used some push together type butt connectors to connect the wires.  On the outside twist lock piece I pushed the wire through and then used rubber tape to make a tapered plug that sealed tight when I reconnected the twist lock portion to the one mounted on the outside of the coach.  I did use a little silicone around the wire as a safety measure.  Have not had a problem with the wiring since. 

One thing that also helps is to keep the awning lubricated, mine started to get sluggish, sprayed some lube on it and it works fast again. 

Followup on my awning problems. Called a mobile tech I have used in past. JB is his name..came to my House and in a few minutes he had awning retracted, he used his big arms  to retracted my awning. He  pushed and pulled the awning, putting on some spray oil, he readjusted the rigging and it now work great and I am a happy camper. I guess being going on 79 I don't have the HP use to have 50 years ago.

There should be a coiled up spring in the awning tube.  The spring can rust and break not allowing the awning to retract.  Tell me about the HP at age 79.  That is why I sold our coach at age 70.  All the money I saved goes to trips where we stay at motels and eat out.  I closed out that chapter of my life in 2010 and took up another hobby that fits my age and body strength.  Chuck B 2004 Windsor

Guest Ray Davis
8 hours ago, bcbmaxwell said:

I guess being going on 79 I don't have the HP use to have 50 years ago.

Yep, I'm about a yr older maybe 2, going on 81 and it does make a difference.   From my perspective you gotta resist giving in to it or the rocking chair on the porch will grab your butt and not let go.  We still love going and plan to as soon as we get through with our friends funeral.  :classic_sad:  That is if I can get out of this rockin chair

Edited by Ray Davis