How busy is it out West you asked.

I would say it’s not as busy this summer compared to last summer in CO, WY, and now UT. We mainly dry camp without reservations, although this summer we booked 3 private CGs several weeks in advance as we are meeting up with our daughter and grands who are new at this and haven’t figured out dry camping in their 06 Navigator.

In the Tetons they paid $75/night and 2 miles away we paid $6 in our favorite USFS CG that was very busy last summer and not so much this summer… still busier than previous years when we’d never had to use the overflow area.

Currently we are at Bryce in a Private CG parked next to them. Normally we’d stay up the road a couple miles in a USFS CG that we checked on today…  several vacant sites we could get our 45’ in plus at 7000+’ the high today is 79 and lows in the mid 50s over the next week.

Nest week they booked the Private CG at Jacob Lake for the N Rim. We’ll wing it , getting to the USFS CG their by 9AM.  Unfortunately it takes reservations which limits the # of walk up sites.

Come on out as the temps have not been that hot as long as you camp above 7000’.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ep120794 said:

Is the air Smokey from the wires in Oregon and Idaho?

In Yellowstone and the Tetons…Yes.

In NW CO and UT… No.

Last few days and currently the wind is out of the south with rain.

Edited by Ivylog

54 minutes ago, Ivylog said:

In Yellowstone and the Tetons…Yes.

In NW CO and UT… No.

Last few days and currently the wind is out of the south with rain.

Glacier is smokey. We left there this am after 6 days of smokey views. Now In Coeur d Alene some s.oke.here to.

Dick said: "Next week they booked the Private CG at Jacob Lake for the N Rim. We’ll wing it , getting to the USFS CG their by 9AM.  Unfortunately it takes...."

We've opted to just boondock a couple miles away just off 89a on forest road 248 (as best as I can recall ... I'd recognize the corner/road intersection in person but trying to remember by the map is difficult.). It should be N NW of the 67 intersection about where 89a takes a bend west....see map screen shot. Unhook toad at the gas station and check it out to see if you are comfortable.  We're 45 feet and felt fine.  Would do it again.  Beware of the hummingbirds...if napping outside in a colorful shirt you may get buzzed as they check you out 😀

Anyway IMHO, the forest service CG just provides you a pit toilet and close neighbors so if you have your own water what is the advantage????  The private CG does have hookups if you desire that.

FWIW

Screenshot_20210722-095804.png

Thanks for the info ^^^ although we’ve been there several times before. Fortunately the Knab Forest opened up last week so dispersed camping is possible again… have flown 248 using Google Maps and it will be our fallback if the CG is full plus several roads off 67 south of J Lake. We've stayed in the USFS CG several times before and while I’m not paranoid about safety, paying $10 to have neighbors when we are gone all day is worth it. 

It’s a family tradition to leave the N Rim at sunset and see how many Mule Deer we can count… anywhere from 200+ to a low of 125.

I go above and beyond to be neighborly, even bringing the coffee pot to those In tents when they start stirring in the morning… been there many decades ago. I’m surprised how often we are the only big rig in these USFS CGs. 

Edited by Ivylog

Day tripped to Zion which was a zoo trying to find a parking spot to catch the shuttle. Once in the valley the crowds were not to bad but worse than anywhere we’ve been this summer.

Arrived at Jacob Lake Saturday at 10 AM getting into the USFS CG without any problem… plenty of vacant sites in the no reservations half of the CG. Was able to get a 2nd site close by for our daughter’s 45’ Navigator…first time dry camping for them. They are learning you don’t have to go from 50A to 50A expensive CGs.

20 minutes ago, Ivylog said:

Day tripped to Zion which was a zoo trying to find a parking spot to catch the shuttle. Once in the valley the crowds were not to bad but worse than anywhere we’ve been this summer.

Arrived at Jacob Lake Saturday at 10 AM getting into the USFS CG without any problem… plenty of vacant sites in the no reservations half of the CG. Was able to get a 2nd site close by for our daughter’s 45’ Navigator…first time dry camping for them. They are learning you don’t have to go from 50A to 50A expensive CGs.

Headed to Zion on Oct. Staying in Hatch UT. Not quite ready for a full dry camp vacation! LOL. We might have to inch closer to Zion after Bryce as Hatch is 1.5 Hours from Bryce. Waiting to see if there will be an opening at Watchman. Haven’t looked to see how far Horseshoe is yet

Edited by JDCrow

19 minutes ago, JDCrow said:

Although we stayed at a FHU CG at 89 and 12 for Bryce (to be with our daughter and grands) I did check out where we would have stayed if by ourselves having stayed there before… Red Canyon USFS CG. There were several sites available we could have gotten our 45’ in as it is a first come CG… our favorite type. Big dump station with water and even in the summer, cool enough that you do not need AC… run the generator. In October you’ll probably need some heat. https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/dixie/recarea/?recid=24944y

One of my backups if I don’t get a site without reservations are small airports. Only once have I had to pay when I ask “how much to tie down” did I have to pay… plenty of room at the Bryce airport. Also plenty of dispersed camping in the immediate area. Come on over to the dark side, it’s easier than you think.

Edited by Ivylog