water valve in bay; backflow valve failed

ERNIEMA

Hi .. I think the backflow valve in the componemt in the bay where I connect my hose to add fresh water to my water tank or directly to the water system has failed.  Where can I get a replacement? 2001 Diplomat pdq  40 ft

Ernie Maier

erniema@aol.com

248 789-5808

Erine

i just want to check, are you having an issue where when you run your water pump it pumps water out onto the ground from the city water connection?

If so, just had the similar issue on my 2001 signature. I went to the local pumping supply house and picked up a check valve and replace it. I had to replace a short pick of pex when I did it. Here is what my old valve looked like. I think I paid around $15.00 for the new one. Simple to install.

B00CEAFC-8EC5-4EDD-8D52-1734E23BEDC7.jpeg

Guest Ray Davis

Ernie,  Mine has a Swan valve    https://swanindustries.com/collections/retail-customer  You can probably match your valve on their site.

You don't say what yours is doing but you may not need a valve.

When mine was acting up, water would pump out of the hose connection.  I found a piece of rubber lodged inside the check valve mounted on the Swan valve.   I removed the piece of rubber and it has been fine for several yrs now.  Others have had to replace their ck valve.  They are available cheaply at most box stores    If that is your problem as well,  you can make a quick temp repair by simply using one of those hose  Ys   like you may have in your hose fittings collection.    Screw it onto where you screw your hose.

WSV150ST - Quick Water Fill  The brass fitting on the left is the ck valve.        one of these can stop the flow for now Image result for Water Hose Y Valve with Shut Off. Size: 159 x 160. Source: www.ebay.com

Edited by Ray Davis

Our 2000 Diplomat has similar issues. Earlier this year, a friend helped me take out the water valve. The company no longer makes a direct replacement so we cleaned the valve and the check valve and reinstalled and it works great. My friend had the Pex tools to connect the hoses, a big plus. To do this, the entire front face of the water cabinet needs to be removed, easier than it looks. It is about a two job. Also, if you are thinking about replacing replacing the sensors on the water tanl and holding tanks, this is a great time to do it. I am considering installing the Seelevel system and it would be very easy to do with the front face removed.

• Thanks 1

When mine failed I didn't want to take the whole world apart to get to it so I just added a 1/4 turn valve to stop it from dripping out . While at it I added a pressure regulator so need to worry about high pressure from some campgrounds without the flow restrictions most portable ones have. It doesn't protect the hose but does protect the coach. You also could get a double male ended hose adapter with a cap to just stop it until you fix it.

20200510_123158.jpg

I had the same problem on our 2009 Dynasty and found a replacement check valve on Amazon. With Amazon Prime I had valve in two days. I also found the Pex fitting to the check valve inlet was protruding into the check valve housing keeping the check valve open. Installed a coupling (from Lowe’s) between the Pex fitting and the check valve that solved the problem.

04 Dynasty had a cheap plastic check valve that the rubber seat would dislodge…easy enough to take apart and re-seat, once you got to it. Finally replaced it with a metal check valve. 
08 Navigator almost seals but difficult to get to so I just use a Y on the supply hose as pictured above by Ray. The Y comes in handy when you need another hose hooked up.

Thanks to one and all.   I think I now have enough info that a handy person friend of mine can fix it for me.  Btw, a repair shop near me had about 52 jobs ahead of me .... had me pay $100 to get in a shorter line... supposedly refundable.... so I am now #26....  the country and industry are both short of help but here in Mich people can still get $300 a week into Sept if unemployed.... just facts... no opinion from me... but it doesn't make sense.

Thanks again.   btw My microwave needs to get teplaced... I will post separately.   And finally, we are in Manistee MI but the White Lake tornado was 1.5 miles from our house. The heavy rain caused the water to rise in my canal and my pontoon boat floated off my lift structure.... a neighbor put it back the next day.... my home genny provided thr power... 

Hi...  I had a friend take the assembly apart.  Ordered the back flow preventer valve from Amazon. about $11.00  one day shipping to arrive today 8/1/21.  My friend will reassemble based on pictures etc.  Thank you all.  

Hi...  I bought just the back flow valve from Amazon a Camco item for about $10.  Next day delivery.  My helper removed the brass fitting on the left side after taking off the handle.  He then gently pulled out the right fitting and cut off the blue hose... learning there was enough slack to recommevt it.....   we did not remove the huge white plate behind all of this... no need.  Hope this helps someone.