Battery isolation

Guest bobstromain

Guest bobstromain

Does anyone know what deactivates the Lambert battery maintainer when there is no shore power, generator or the engine not started.

mine is staying activated as long as house batteries are above 12.2. This seems to be keeping house batteries tied to chassis batteries on start up, thus putting a load on alternator when engine is first started   Any comments would be appreciated

Bob St. Romain

04 Windsor

Edited by Guest

Guest bobstromain

Yes,  unless the house batteries get below 12.9       

When the engine or generator are not running and I am not plugged in to shore power the green light stays on. 

Currently plugged to shore power.  Chassis batteries are at 13.2V and house batteries at 13.4

Rebuilt alternator is supposed to be installed tomorrow.  We will go from there. 

Thank you for your input and great information.   I will review it immediately.  Any future comments will be appreciated. 

If you are not hooked to shore power or have the generator on plus the engine is not running which is typical when boondocking the Green light should be off indicating that the maintainer is deactivated.

I would say that your maintainer is defective or there is another device in the circuit which is causing the maintainer to stay on.

My maintainer took a dump back in 2017 while on a long National Park tour out west. I replaced it with the Amp-L-Start.

Edited by Dr4Film

Guest bobstromain

Thanks for your comments.  When not on shore power or generator engine off, green light stays on until house batteries go below 12.9 V. According to the test information you sent it is working as it should. Typically when I un plug at a camp site and start the engine the house voltage will be 13.3 or so. So the green light will be on.  That being the case when starting the engine it seems that it would draw down the house volts too.  The rebuilt alternator is supposed to be installed tomorrow. Will see if anything changes

Thans again for your comments

Bob

Bob,

I read the maintainer information as saying that when everything is off, shore power, generator and engine, the green light should be off which means that the maintainer has been deactivated.

Is that incorrect?

You are saying that your maintainer still has the green light on when it should be off and deactivated.

I am confused.

Edited by Dr4Film

Guest bobstromain

Thanks for your comments.  When not on shore power or generator engine off, green light stays on until house batteries go below 12.9 V. According to the test information you sent it is working as it should. Typically when I un plug at a camp site and start the engine the house voltage will be 13.3 or so. So the green light will be on.  That being the case when starting the engine it seems that it would draw down the house volts too.  The rebuilt alternator is supposed to be installed tomorrow. Will see if anything changes

Thans again for your comments

Bob

In reading the test procedures #6 says if the green light is on ( this is after being unplugged etc) turn some lights on to draw don the house below 2.9. The light should go off which it does. That indicates to me that the green light could be on at start up as long as house is above 3.3

Bob,

Here is an except from the Lambert Battery Maintainer Manual.

"When you are dry camping, your Model LE-415 will sense that your converter/inverter is not powered up, and it will shut itself down. This feature protects your coach battery from being drained in the event that your chassis battery has gone bad. When you resume your trip however, your Model LE-415 will resume its normal operation. The green pilot lamp will glow whenever the Model LE-415 is operating."

It sounds to me like your maintainer has the chassis and coach batteries connected when it should not. Thereby draining both your chassis and coach batteries.

Edited by Dr4Film

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I'm coming in on this late, and it seems that your problem is fixed, but I think your batteries when not being charged would be below 12.9 volts.  Trojan 6-volt wet cell (T-105) common house battery is 100% charged at 12.74 Volts.  Lifeline AGMs spec their fully charged batteries after sitting with nothing connected for 4 hours after charge at 13.0 volts.  So, with a nominal charge, it would like be below 12.9 and the LE-415 should be disconnected.  If you are reading over 12.9 Volts, do you maybe have solar assisting?