Pulling a travel trailer

Ron P.

2004 Monaco Executive 

I have a general question concerning a road.  

I have seen people with a motorhome pulling a travel trailer but curious as to how do you maneuver the travel once you reach a destination.   Or do they just keep trailer attached,  always looking for a large place to park. 

Anyone have any experience with this?

Ron P.

2004 Monaco Executive 

Ron,

I pulled a 30 foot Pace Cargo Trailer for over 8 years while were full-timing. I never had problems finding places to stay or park. Some places I had to disconnect while others I did not. The only major thing I really paid attention to was when needing fuel and when needing to pull into unknown places. I made sure that I had an easy ingress and egress when entering and exiting places.

Only once I got myself in a jam back in 2015 when my GPS took me into a cul-de-sac instead of a Camping World where I wanted to dump my tanks. With some neighborly help I was able to use two driveways to get enough room to get turned around back to the main road.

Right after that happened I notified Bob Towes from Truckdown.com of the incorrect GPS coordinates which were corrected for later updates to the Garmin database.

I've only seen one motorhome pulling a travel trailer and it turned out to be a guy moving the trailer for a relative. Cargo trailers are a different story. Lots of people pull cargo trailers for a myriad of reasons depending on what's inside. Snowbirds traveling from New York to Orlando may pull a cargo trailer with motorcycles inside. Often they take their golf car and/or motorcycles. Racers pull trailers with their race cars inside. I used to build street rods and towed whatever one I was showing to the venue in a trailer. Like anything else, it's all in the planning. I had a hidden hitch on my cars so I'd unload the trailer and use the car to stow the trailer in the lot. Remember, a lot of these folks are not travelers. They are going from point A to point B and can use whatever facilities are available to them, such as WalMart, Home Depot etc. Those that aren't simply plan ahead. I have to be more particular about where I plan to stay with my 45' bus than I did when I had my 24' PaceArrow. Calling ahead to campgrounds to inquire about space limitations, not only for the camping spot but also the interior roads leading to them. Many campgrounds will have a spot for you to leave the trailer should the need arise, i.e. no pull thrus available, but there may be an additional charge for that privilege. Plan ahead, call and ask, don't trust your GPS, and have a plan should everything go in the toilet.....Dennis