National Forrest Closures in California

This post likely won't effect many of you but...

California has closed all National Forrest, State and BLM lands including campgrounds and recreation sites for at least the next 3 weeks.  Might remained closed until rainfall helps extinguish our massive wilderness fires.

I live in the Stanislaus National Forrest area and although this means I can't even go fishing at my nearby lakes, I fully support this move.  Most places west of the Rockies are dry as a bone.

So if you had plans to come and camp out for the next few weeks, don't be surprised if you have to change your plans.  

Additional Information on some road closures:

Hwy 50, 88, 89 are all closed in the Lake Tahoe region.  49,000 people in Eldorado County have been evacuated including all of S. Lake Tahoe and part of Douglas County, NV near Lake Tahoe.  I-80 remains open.  Cal Trans says it may be weeks before the closed highways reopen because they are having to clear burnt trees and debris.

Hwy 58 to Bakersfield, I-80, Hwy 108  and Hwy 120 thru Yosemite are your best bets for crossing the Sierra from Lake Tahoe and south.

Perhaps someone else can address the Highways that are closed up in the Nor Cal Dixie Fire area.

Be prepared for possible heavy smoke depending on the winds.

No need for a lengthy political discussion.  I just don't want to see anyone caught by surprise.

UPDATE:

This order does not affect national parks such as Yosemite or state parks such as Anza-Borrego Desert and El Capitan Beach. It also doesn't affect the Eldorado, Humboldt-Toiyabe and Rogue River-Siskiyou National Forests. Some State Parks remain open as well.

Check before you travel.

Bruce LaHargoue

Edited by blahargoue
Additional Information

Unlike previous summers I came back East saying anyone with any smarts would sell while they can and move East. The price of water and electricity is going through the roof as is fire insurance, if you can get it. 
Yes, there’s areas with flooding but I’ll take water over fire any day… high ground solves that.

The fact still remains that California failed to clean out the underbrush in their forests.  If the past few years several towns such as Paradise were completely burned to the ground because the state failed to be proactive.  

My sister in law is visiting us from Red Bluff.  She lives on 40 acres outside town.  The biggest worry on her mind is that the wind will change sending the fire toward their land.  She talks to her daughter twice a day.  There is a smoke haze in the area requiring people that go outside to wear masks.  Their electricity is shut off several times a week without any notice.  They had to move their livestock into holding areas in town. 

And you worry about not being able to go fishing?  Chuck B 2004 Windsor

Don't get me wrong Chuck.  I'm on the Central coast after being evacuated earlier this month.  I left this time because the air quality index at home was 400 a few days ago.  Home owner's insurance cancelled 4 times in 6 years.  I too hope the wind doesn't change to the south and toward our area.  It's already jumped Highway 88 near Kirkwood.  As for Paradise, I lost a family member in that one.   To clarify, my comment on fishing was meant to illustrate just how closed this are.

Bruce.

OK Bruce, My wrong, I apologize.  We live in southern Mississippi having to deal with IDA.  All the motels are in a no vacancy mode due to people from New Orleans.

3 Years ago a tornado came through our area doing over $60,000 to our home.  That same Saturday we got a call from family in Memphis that our daughter was murdered.  Her killer is still loose.  Her murder is now a cold case with the Memphis homicide department.  Add to that covid.  Seems every day is a challenge.  Life goes on.

Chuck B 2004 Windsor

From an Oregon perspective, currently burning, consider that the experts, the PhDs, the bureaucrats, the public land managers, the smartest people in the room, now admit that they were completely wrong. Buy your local logger a beer. He said that this was coming. Oregon now finds itself in the position of having to pay loggers to remove dead decayed wood, fire starter if you will,  that loggers offered  to pay top dollar to harvest only a few years ago. 

Edited by Gary Cole

Valid point.  Our Forrest have far more dense fuel sources than they did 100 years ago.

I have lost my home owners insurance 4 times in 6 years during to companies pulling out of the market.  I got lucky this year and found one company that decided to insure in our area.  They too stopped writing policies 2 weeks after I signed up.  So I am good for another year without having to use the expensive State Insurance program.  Next year?  Who knows?

Bruce LaHargoue