Carefree Eclipse Awning Mounting Issue

I have a problem with the wall mounting lag bolts at the top of one of the arms have pulled out of the wall. Does anyone know what is behind the wall that they are screwed into? I’m assuming maybe a block of wood! Any ideas on a repair without having to remove the whole assembly?

3A9E9045-ECDF-46FB-9541-53661A6FB15C.jpeg

2BEDDA05-2FC3-45E9-B937-AF5DAC8F319D.jpeg

Gary,

I had a similar event about two years ago when I left my awning out during a wind storm. 🤦🏻‍♂️

I was able to repair it by replacing the 1/4” lag bolts with stainless steel 5/16” lag bolts of the same length.  I took out one of the existing lag bolts and went to the hardware store and got the exact same length and one 1/16” larger.  It’s held up for over two years now...

Hope that helps!

3 minutes ago, Scotty Hutto said:

Gary,

I had a similar event about two years ago when I left my awning out during a wind storm. 🤦🏻‍♂️

I was able to repair it by replacing the 1/4” lag bolts with stainless steel 5/16” lag bolts of the same length.  I took out one of the existing lag bolts and went to the hardware store and got the exact same length and one 1/16” larger.  It’s held up for over two years now...

Hope that helps!

Thanks Scotty

On 3/19/2020 at 6:02 PM, Scotty Hutto said:

Gary,

Hope that helps!

Well Scotty

I tried the 5/16 lag bolts but un fortunately the #14 self drilling screws ripped enough of the wood behind the wall that the lag bolts won’t  tighten down. Any other suggestions appreciated.

My plan is to attempt to remove the affected leg and drill a larger hole and glue a wood dowel in place. Then pre drill for the #14’s again plus seal end of wood before reattaching leg. I was amazed that where Monaco put these #14 screws in that there was no sealant since the leg is basically a “C” channel which allows water to travel down wall behind the leg and across the bare part of the screw which could soak in around the threads.

38 minutes ago, Gary M said:

38 minutes ago, Gary M said:

Well Scotty

I tried the 5/16 lag bolts but un fortunately the #14 self drilling screws ripped enough of the wood behind the wall that the lag bolts won’t  tighten down. Any other suggestions appreciated.

Gary

1.)  Dip  short wood dowels into  carpenter's glue... (or use an  epoxy glue).

2.) Drive the dowels into the stripped holes

3.)  Allow the glue to dry/cure completely.

4.)  Cut the dowels off close to the wall.

5.)  Use small drill bit to make a pilot holes in the dowels.

5.)  Re-install the original #14 screws.

Edited by Mel S - '96 Safari

2 minutes ago, Mel S - '96 Safari said:

Gary

1.)  Dip  short wood dowels into  carpenter's glue... (or use an  epoxy glue).

2.) Drive the dowels into the stripped holes

3.)  Allow the glue to dry/cure completely.

4.)  Cut the dowels off close to the wall.

5.)  Use small drill bit to make a pilot holes in the dowels.

5.)  Re-install the original #14 screws.

Thanks Mel

Same process for repair of door hinge screws that the door jamb screw hole won’t hold the screw anymore.

16 hours ago, Gary M said:

Well Scotty

My plan is to attempt to remove the affected leg and drill a larger hole and glue a wood dowel in place. Then pre drill for the #14’s again plus seal end of wood before reattaching leg. I was amazed that where Monaco put these #14 screws in that there was no sealant since the leg is basically a “C” channel which allows water to travel down wall behind the leg and across the bare part of the screw which could soak in around the threads.

If there is a C channel back there then you might consider old fashion toggle bolts.

Image result for toggle bolts