Broken black water pull-lever

alaskawalker

Can you grab the shaft with vice grips?

Might have some paper jamming the valve? 

I had a grey water valve get pretty sticky on a previous coach.  Took the valve apart and found it flooded with sand from post-race showers. 

- bob

I had mine break also just had to get another valve for parts and take it all apart and use the parts from the one I brought instead of cutting it all apart.  It was on my black tank and yes it was full.  I hope yours isn't that one. 

I am assuming the tank is at worst full and that the whole handle and shaft pulled out, leaving the valve slide closed. 
My plastic slide valve thread was damaged and I could not get it to move. I considered using an epoxy glue to temporarily get it to just open enough to drain but I took this route. 

I managed to cut the end cap off (it’s a sealed unit) the valve housing. I was able to grab the slide with long nosed pliers and pull it back just enough to get a flow.  I was very deliberate and gently because the consequences are messy. 
Connect to outlet to the sewer! 
Good luck. 
Be interesting to see other remedies. 

Edited by Rick A
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, redstickbill said:

Did the valve handle break or just come unscrewed from the valve gate? If the valve stem has threads on the end it should be able to be screwed back into the valve gate.

Bill B 07 Dynasty

That’s the first test, these handles unscrew “themselves”. Murphys first law of RV sewer valves. 

I tried screwing it back on. That only closed it off completely My tsnk is full.😏. How did you take it apart? I've got a guy saying he has to pull out the toilet and get something in there to slide it open. But only after I have a septic co. Pump it out. Just seems there's an easier way. The pull is encased in black plastic covering but i don't see any screws. 

Do I just cut off the plastic around the loose handle?

1 hour ago, alaskawalker said:

I tried screwing it back on. That only closed it off completely My tsnk is full.😏. How did you take it apart? I've got a guy saying he has to pull out the toilet and get something in there to slide it open. But only after I have a septic co. Pump it out. Just seems there's an easier way. The pull is encased in black plastic covering but i don't see any screws. 

Pumping the tank and taking the toilet out is a service persons “fantasy”. 

I put up a photo showing where I cut the top off. I used Dremel tool but you could probably use a small hack saw. 
When you get the top off and look inside you will see the slide valve blade. Pull it just enough (about 3/4”) to start it draining. 

4CDFDBD0-826E-4669-8022-681AA254BB20.jpeg

1 hour ago, alaskawalker said:

Could you put up a photo? 

• Like 1

With Rick's drawing and where to cut you should use a low sided container to catch the drainage, just don't get in a hurry and you should not make too much of a mess. Also place a bucket under the compartment where the sewer hose exits the wet bay.

Bill B 07 Dynasty

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JDStew said:

And be sure so set up you phone or camera to catch it all on video!

I confess. I didn’t cut the unit as I implied in the picture.  I used my vice grip and de-engineered it piece by piece.
I couldn’t put that up! 

Edited by Rick A