RVA pump/motor leak

After my last trip I parked the coach in the garage and over next couple days I saw oil drips coming from the RVA leveling pump. So this got added to the list as a To Do item.

Well, I crawled under the front end today to see how hard it would be to remove the pump assembly and or motor. The pump system is mounted on a bracket on the side, doesn't look too bad, everything is pretty accessible. Both the pump side and motor is wet with hyd oil.

I recently saw a post on IRV2 on replacing bearings and seals but after searching I can't seem to find it.  I did a quick search on the Monacoers site and didn't find anything.

Not sure if I should remove the whole thing or just try to remove the motor first to see if the pump itself is leaking and then go from there.

Has anyone removed the RVA pump system to fix a leaking pump?

I'm going to do some more research before diving in and by then hopefully someone can shed some light on the best options to repair.

Edited by jacwjames

On 2/2/2022 at 11:06 AM, jacwjames said:

After my last trip I parked the coach in the garage and over next couple days I saw oil drips coming from the RVA leveling pump. So this got added to the list as a To Do item.

Well, I crawled under the front end today to see how hard it would be to remove the pump assembly and or motor. The pump system is mounted on a bracket on the side, doesn't look too bad, everything is pretty accessible. Both the pump side and motor is wet with hyd oil.

I recently saw a post on IRV2 on replacing bearings and seals but after searching I can't seem to find it.  I did a quick search on the Monacoers site and didn't find anything.

Not sure if I should remove the whole thing or just try to remove the motor first to see if the pump itself is leaking and then go from there.

Has anyone removed the RVA pump system to fix a leaking pump?

I'm going to do some more research before diving in and by then hopefully someone can shed some light on the best options to repair.

I have replaced the motor and it wasn't bad at all. 

Jim, someone has resurrected the RVA company, at least for parts.  I bought a complete new, exact replacement pump/motor assembly for somewhere in the neighborhood of $700.  Comes with motor, contactor.  Google for the site.

2 minutes ago, vanwill52 said:

Jim, someone has resurrected the RVA company, at least for parts.  I bought a complete new, exact replacement pump/motor assembly for somewhere in the neighborhood of $700.  Comes with motor, contactor.  Google for the site.

Thanks Van,

Yes I found the site and the pump listed but hoping to save some $$$$.  I figure it might just be a seal. 

I'm going to first clean the pump/manifold/motor good to see if I can identify where the leak is then go from there. 

• 2 weeks later...

Well, last week I finally got a chance to take a look at the RVA pump.  Spent a couple hours spraying it down with the purple cleaner and alternating spraying down with water.   Did this multiple times and got the body, manifold, and motor pretty clean.  Checked to make sure the hoses, solenoid, and relief valves were tight.  Checked the fluid level, it was OK.

After a couple days I looked for any signs of leaks and there were none.

I then exercised the jacks multiple times over several days, inspecting each time in between.  As of yesterday it had not leaked anywhere. 

So not sure what caused the leaks but for now I'm going to leave the pump/motor alone.