New- extra gauges

A post I read said,

These rigs should come with fuel, boost and egt gauges, would make troubleshooting much easier.

This is something I have been thinking about adding to my rig. I use VMSpec 4.0 to monitor my chassis computer.

Boost - I have a Turbo Boost (same thing right?) This shows up as an analog gauge on my dash and also on my VMSpec. 

Fuel Pressure: I am considering adding this kit:

https://isspro.com/products.php?productid=1284

plus maybe a analog gauge back in the engine on top of the fuel filter. I like that kit because it matches my original gauges pretty close. 

EGT (exhaust gas temp): what does this gauge do for me - why is it useful? How do you install it?  And where do I get it? ( I don’t think it was on the isspro list of gauges).

Also how do these three gauges help me know what’s going right or wrong with the engine. 

I am considering doing these when I add a FASS Pump. 

My engine ISC350 built in 1999

Thanks

Edited by Rocketman3
Add more info

EGTs are common on motors that have had a tuner or programmer that adds power. If the temps get to high you need to back off the throttle. Not sure if anybody runs one in a standard coach configuration.

The egt gauge allows you to monitor load, i.e. the higher the temps, the higher the load with a max of 1200 degrees. If you're pulling a long hill you can see if are pushing too hard.

Also increases the life of your turbo, the quickest way to kill a turbo is hot shut down. You should let it cool too 300-350 degrees before shut down.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The egt also helps diagnose leaks in your “after-cooler” or also know as “charge air cooler”, if you have excessive leaks your temperature will rise, in turn your turbo and exhaust manifold will obviously run hotter and not produce max HP.

All three of those gauges are related to some degree. 

Your exhaust temp will also show different temps depending on the probes location, pre turbo temps will absolutely be higher than post temps, on an average the difference would be about 300* hotter pre turbo.

If you install a Pyrometer pre turbo make sure you get all of the drilling’s cleaned out, otherwise it’s headed for the turbine blades on the hot side of the turbo, not good! All of my trucks had the pyro probe after the turbo.

20 hours ago, Rocketman3 said:

A post I read said,

These rigs should come with fuel, boost and egt gauges, would make troubleshooting much easier.

This is something I have been thinking about adding to my rig. I use VMSpec 4.0 to monitor my chassis computer.

Boost - I have a Turbo Boost (same thing right?) This shows up as an analog gauge on my dash and also on my VMSpec. 

Fuel Pressure: I am considering adding this kit:

https://isspro.com/products.php?productid=1284

plus maybe a analog gauge back in the engine on top of the fuel filter. I like that kit because it matches my original gauges pretty close. 

EGT (exhaust gas temp): what does this gauge do for me - why is it useful? How do you install it?  And where do I get it? ( I don’t think it was on the isspro list of gauges).

Also how do these three gauges help me know what’s going right or wrong with the engine. 

I am considering doing these when I add a FASS Pump. 

My engine ISC350 built in 1999

Thanks

Isspro has pyrometers, and they make good quality gauges.

https://isspro.com/category_products.php?cid=154