Toilet leak after replacing the ball valve gasket on a Sealand foot actuated toilet

1nolaguy

Recently the ball at the bottom of our Sealand foot actuated toilet started to leak draining all the water in the bowl to the black tank. I got the proper Dometic replacement kit for our unit and installed it according to packaging instructions. All appeared to work properly and I completed the re-assembly. All was good until someone sat on the toilet causing it to leak significantly. Upon investigation the top of the toilet is rocking forward where connected to the base when sat on causing the seal to break and the contents of the bowl to leak out.

I have re-set the seal and top, and tightened the ss band clamp as tight as possible but the problem persists. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank goodness we have a 2nd toilet in our rig.

There is another seal besides the ball and if it is not put in exactly and is upside down, it will leak. Study the diagram in your booklet.  I can’t remember exactly how to tell you.

Thanks The Hales. The two part seal was installed correctly as per instructions on the packaging. As noted by (I think Dr4Film), the secrete was in the two part plastic fitting orientation. These plastic pieces support the ss band and join the top unit to the bottom unit. The two part plastic pieces need to be installed correctly with the front (marked front) pieces joined and facing the correct direction (this was by trial and error as that direction "up or down" was not marked). When installed the two pieces are together in the front but parted by between 1-1/2 and 2" in the rear. The worm screw adjustment of the ss band needs to be in the back and over the blank space. In this configuration the unit seals properly and leaking stops. Ironically, once properly installed the leaking I had also been experiencing at the foot valve ceased. Live and learn. lol

Good to know. will keep it in mind should it start to leak again. I tightened the screw-clamp by hand with a nut drive screwdriver so while it is tight it is not as if I put a ratchet on it.