Gasket at slide out

2005 Diplomat

I have a problem keeping the 5/8" wide gasket attached where the slide outs. At least once a year I have to clean the gasket surface and re-glue the gaskets.  When new, the gasket  comes with a double sided tape the holds it in place, but after a short time it comes loose or moves out of place. I have been using 3m adhesive spray, but this doesn't keep it stationary either.  Does anyone else have this problem, and if you did how did you fix it?

Couldn't get the pictures to rotate.

20220404_161503.thumb.jpg.72711eee9d937399528d3bca1f378e76.jpg20220404_161555.thumb.jpg.08cfde82d5fc2293ac9c36ed84925ca5.jpg20220404_161452.thumb.jpg.7d98021367beccf476a89e465009fbba.jpg

Go to Lowes or any other home store and get some bath tub gripper tape.  Put a strip of that tape from top to bottom of each slide ends or sides.  

The gripper tape will flip the gaskets the right direction each time you open and close the sides.  Usually the factory installed the gripper tape on the roof of the slide.

Chuck B 2004 Windsor

The factory uses a industrial grade adhesive that cannot be purchased in a consumer marketplace.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Life-Safe-Gator-Grip-4-in-W-Black-Anti-Slip-Tape/1000060753

Chuck B 2004 Windsor

You could try 3m vhb ( very high bond) in short pieces can’t it move once applied   I use it hold my solar panels on the roof 4 years and still can’t move them. If you have to get it off you need a razor knife to cut between the two surfaces. Scrapers and lacquer thinners to remove residue can be got at the big box store. Try it on a piece of scrap first

Same issue but not as bad as yours. I replaced those ribbed seals about 3 years ago and most are still ok. A few vertical one are coming loose at the very top. I’m going to also look into some suggestions here. It took me a lot to make sure all adhesive was removed before installing the new ones. If you come up with a good way to keep them in position, let us know.

Bryan, 

To me it looks as if the new rubber bead has moved and the adhesion is not working. The slide-out seal itself seems to be ok.  It may be that the surface prep needs to be better.  Try using denatured alcohol and even acetone to clean the surface before sticking the foam strip to the coach wall. To me it looks as if the sticky side is not holding as expected to the coach wall.

Martin

• 1 year later...

I thought I'd give a update on my seal problem. I went and got some flex glue cleaned the surface and applied it to the slide frame and brought the slide in. It's been a year and the gasket hasn't moved. Happy with the results.